Saturday, January 28, 2012

After the Ceilidh

I can't believe it is just a week since the Crafters' Ceilidh:  it feels like a long long time ago!  But it certainly explains why I haven't done much sewing since.

Because I had to leave early, I wasn't able to go to the Sewing Cafe with everyone else, but there was no way I was going to miss out on the pattern / fabric swap!  I left four patterns in Kestrel's care and I am really looking forward to seeing them appear around the blogosphere!  Scruffybadger has already confessed to taking the Star Wars costume pattern (!) and just the other day House of Pinheiro showed the Amy Butler mini-dress pattern. Somewhere out there is a stunning 50's dress pattern that I could not understand, and a 60's back-zipped top that was simply far too big for me.  I really hope their new owners can make them work!


And what did I get in return?  Kestrel made some really great choices for me!  Three
Simplicity patterns, all from the 70's - so many possibilities!  And she also picked out a piece of coral red stretch cotton which is a pretty good colour match for the hat I was wearing last Saturday.  I might try out the Jasmine pattern with this, if there is enough.


But this weekend I am making a start on my velvet shorts.  I ran into a problem with the pdf pattern.  Can you see that this piece doesn't quite line up with all the others?  It is really odd.  To make the pattern shapes continuous, I have to leave a gap between the "tiles" of A4 and the 1-inch grid lines no longer marry up.  I have emailed the designer for advice.  I scoured the internet and no-one who has made these shorts has mentioned a problem.  Curiouser and curiouser.

But right now I am off to the library.  Remember I loaded up my reading wishlist at New Year?  My requests have been fulfilled - all eight books at once!  More about that another day.

FL Update:  In spite of our trepidations, he is not in any pain from his extraction and is feeling quite chipper today - woo hoo!  Thank you all for your good wishes :)

7 comments:

Debi said...

YAY! Simplicity 5341 was one I brought to the swap. I should do a round-up of what I walked away with from the swap too! I can't believe it was just last week either!

Christine Laennec said...

How funny that the Star Wars pattern originated with you! I hope you get the Australian shorts pattern to behave, and I'm REALLY pleased to hear FL is feeling chipper. Enjoy your library books! x

Scruffybadger said...

Der! I just read this after yesterday's post (you know, read in chronological order) so am glad FL's on form. The patterns you've come away with are fabulously Roo - I like the little jaunty leg pose in the Simplicity 9566 & want to see you make some pedal pushers!!

LinB said...

And knee socks! Now you will have an excuse to knit knee socks, to go with your Australian shorts and 70s knickerbockers. A lace pattern will take less yarn ... not as warm though. Glad that FL is feeling some better.

Anonymous said...

OH, YAY - FL FEELING CHIPPER! SUCH A DIFFERENCE A DAY MAKES, ESPECIALLY AFTER SUCH HORRIFFIC PAIN AND WORRY. CHEERING YOU BOTH ON TO BETTER DAYS AHEAD. WARM HUGS, KAREN

Linda said...

Very good news about FL. I have been thinking about you.

so sew said...

I'm glad that the trouser pattern I brought along to the swap now has a nice new home.