Saturday, January 07, 2012

FO: Everyone Outta The Holly Socks


What better way to finish my Christmas holiday than with a pair of socks in the colourway:  "Boughs of Holly"?
Pattern:  Everyone Outta the Pool with tweaks
Yarn:  Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock in "Boughs of Holly" (from Ambermoggie's destash in aid of Macmillan)

After my last pair of Lorna's Laces socks turned out as mismatched spiral-stripers, I deliberately chose a pattern designed to disrupt the regularity of a hand-dyed yarn.  There are some very fine examples of this pattern in action on Ravelry, so I thought this was a smug choice.  In the skein, the colours were suitably Christmassy and quite masculine.
Knitted up? I am reminded of a rather dusty "ancient" tartan.  I can't name it, though!

I didn't follow the pattern as written.  My laptop has stopped talking to the printer, so I wrote down the bare essentials of the toe-up stitch pattern, and then used "Socks From the Toe Up" to work the heel from the Trilobite Socks pattern.  My first attempt gave me an absurdly-long foot, as I misjudged the length of the gusset section.  So I worked the second foot to the correct length before ripping back sock one to match.  I used a simple K1P1 rib for the cuff.

Verdict?
Well, they are warm man-socks.  FL isn't especially interested in their looks. He is just pleased to be let off the hook as far as darning duty is concerned!

9 comments:

Laura said...

Old Keith? tartan?

juicyknits said...

Hey, you got his feet posing for a picture. That's great! :D These pictures make me smile.

christinelaennec said...

Those are great! (You mean you get him to darn? Why didn't I think of that? - my own husband, I mean...) I like how the wide stripey bits at the top of the foot aren't the same colour.

Sadie said...

Those are fantastic, the pattern and the colourway go together brilliantly. I agree about the tartanish look - I thought they were really clever colourwork when I saw the pictures!

Dibs said...

Poor FL, being roped in for modelling duties...lol.

Annie said...

FL darns? This is some man you have there Roo! Love the socks :D

Sigrid said...

Always did like a man in a tartan. And these are amusing and warm looking.

House of Pinheiro said...

I never socks would turn out so cool. Hi, I'm Rachel... Newest follower.

Houseofpinheiro.blogspot.com

Gabrielle said...

Lovely fraternal sock action going on there, Roo - I like the red vs the pale blue flashing around the heels! Gx