FL isn't fine - his cold has come back full-force, just like New Year, and his teeth hurt and he is exhausted. I am administering tea and sympathy but he prefers whisky with honey and lemon!
I am enjoying very happy sock-knitting with my Finnish experiment.
Don't read too much into this: I am only using the charts!
The Finnish words surrounding them are only comprehensible with the help of google translate which tells me this is a "sock recipe" for users to adapt to suit themselves.
That's what I am doing, thank you!
However, I do now know the Finnish words for "needles", "pattern", "socks" and "yarn" :D
Designing? (Warning - heavy on the technical detail!)
Hmmm. My design idea for a knitted cowl has reached the point where I have to admit defeat. I know what is wrong with it: I tried to throw too many ideas at one project. It had three separate stitch patterns, each of which knitted up at a different gauge, so the resultant fabric was puckered and mis-shapen. I considered adding short-row shaping to the mix, but realised I was over-complicating the design to a ridiculous degree.
For those interested in the technical detail: it was to be a strip of knit, joined at either end to form the cowl shape, possibly twisted over, moebius style. So basically a simple rectangle of knitting, using stitch patterns which look the same on both sides of the fabric, rendering the item reversible (ooh!).
To one side, there was to be a deep border of lace, which would gradually get narrower, next to a big chunky cable which would cross the piece on the diagonal, next to a border of seed stitch which would gradually get wider as the cable moved across.
But as any fool knows, seed stitch is dense and tight while bird's eye lace is loose and drapey. Every time the cable crosses, it warps the overall fabric shape. Movement on the diagonal required the introduction of garter stitch stripes across the lace section, to preserve the holey pattern as stitches were lost. It is possible that short-row shaping of these garter stripes might have helped regain some of the lost rectangularity, but this is the point at which I decided it was all getting out of hand.
I tried gathering the lacey section down each garter stripe and it looked pretty good, but that didn't help the too-tight seed stitch section, which moves in and out like the tide, according to the pull of the cable. Yes, stern use of a steam iron might have knocked it into shape, but this would just be an attempt to cover up the inherent design flaw. I don't want a flawed design!
Now... someone reading this might very well know how to make this idea work and will make their fortune on Ravelry selling pdf patterns of the resultant design (LOL).
To this mythical person I say: "Congratulations! You earned your money, honey! Because I am out of here with this damn-fool idea!" ; )
|Norby by Gudrun Johnson|
It was to be called "Skene's Moss", a terrible pun about the family who farmed here in the 19th century (the Skenes), the geese that fly overhead (in skeins), and the SkeinQueen yarn I used for the prototype. Convoluted, rather like the design itself!