Sunday, February 26, 2012

FO: The Seraphine Wrap, for Wool People

Stats:
Pattern:  Seraphine by Lucy Sweetland for Brooklyn Tweed's Wool People
Yarn:  Over a pound of handspun grey gotland, from Croft Wools of Cuaig near Applecross in the Western Highlands.  The shop is a shed at the roadside:  you can't miss it as there's nothing else for miles.


 I had no idea how enormous this wrap was going to turn out to be.  The dimensions are clearly stated in the schematic, but I was in denial.  I saw those cables and they called to me.
I ran out of yarn half-way across the second wing, but fortunately I tracked down the seller's email address via the local tourist board and there was an odd ball of the "2010 spin" lurking at the back of the cupboard - phew!

It is immensely sheepy.  It is wonderfully warm.  If ever there was a great big  shepherd's hug of a garment, this is it.  Yes, it was quite rough on my fingers as I knitted, but absolutely worth it.  The i-cord bind off was a trial on my patience (4 stitches knit from side to side across the entire wingspan?  Uh huh, that's what I said too) but now that it's done, it's done.

No matter where my life takes me in the future, this will be my farm shawl.  Right now, it's perfectly at home.

26 comments:

ashley0107 said...

It's gorgeous!! I love the cables, so pretty :)
Ashley x

Evie said...

This is spectacular! I love a cable and this is just delightful. Well worth the effort, I think.

Emma said...

That is fabulous! I love it and really want one now.

Annie said...

Oh wow! I've been watching you knit this thinking shall I, shan't I ? It's wonderful Roo, so I will, I will! Enjoy hugging that shepherd!

Franca said...

It looks gorgeous! I've been thinking I will attempt a shawl at some point soon, trying to decide on a pattern!

Sadie said...

That's lovely! And it looks so warm and cosy.

Clare said...

I need that shawl - it's fantastic, love those cables and the angel wings. Your photos have made me want to run away to Scotland instead of going to work tomorrow.

Lynne said...

It's fantastic!! It looks so cosy, and those cables are just gorgeous!! I like the "bigness" of it, I imagine it helps it to stay put.

Donna said...

That is *beautiful*!

kbenco said...

Your photos look like a magazine feature. What a fabulous shawl.

Scruffybadger said...

Supreme LOVE!!!! I want one. But not something quite that complicated. It's a perfect winter warmer. I cannot imagine how big your shawl cupboard must be .... yet another to add to my shawl envy :-)

Christine Laennec said...

You look stunning in that, and I can imagine how warm and cosy it must be. So glad all that i-cording was worth it! (I can't remember where I saw a written conversation about the origin of the term 'i-cord' but although it originally meant 'idiot-cord' someone in the younger generation assumed it was something to do with an i-Pod...)

juicyknits said...

Gorgeous.

feresaknit said...

Simply stunning! :D

Adele said...

that is gooorrgeous!! I want one! Love the cables and the bigness of it,looks soo cosy! well done!

Shannon said...

That looks warm, cozy and gorgeous! Wonderful work!

Gail said...

Gorgeous! A wonderful, wooly hug!

mumasu said...

absolutely gorgeous, were the cables difficult?

Roobeedoo said...

Aw - thanks everyone!
Mumasu - the cables were... cables ;) As long as you have a spare needle to hold the crossing stitches, it is pretty straightforward.

Clare said...

I LOVE it! Wow. Makes me long for the Highlands.

Alessa said...

Wow, I bow to your patience! It's beautiful. I love the "wing" picture. :) It's very appropriately named.

Ali said...

Wow, this is gorgeous, and I imagine so perfect for warmth around the house and on walks in nippy air. Very impressed.

Lots of talk of prints! I'm dreaming of spring fabric, so I'm gonna take a look at those new Lisette patterns/fabrics, thanks for the info.

Melly Testa said...

You make me want to start knitting again, that is a gorgeous piece.

Elizabeth said...

What a beautiful post, beautiful pictures, beautiful shawl. You take my breath away. Thanks for giving me a moment of bliss.

Elizabeth said...

BTW... if you haven't read today's post on Multiple Myeloma Missive, go read it!

Melizza said...

What a beautiful wrap. That pattern on the back is so intricate! It looks so so cozy.