Saturday, February 25, 2012

FO: To Infinity and Beyond

This morning I woke to birdsong and sunshine and startled my dear FL by getting up early to hang out the washing and zip through the housework.  I left him asleep on chair island, encircled by newly-mopped floor, while I nipped out for a batch of fresh newsprint. When I got home, I was planning to cut out some sensible grey work trousers on that fine clean surface...
But by the time I got back the sky was as grey as my fabric and the DOG was sprawled full-length on my lovely shiny floor.  When he stood up, there was a crime-scene-style mud-stain and tell-tale footprints right round the table...  canine and human.
I took one look at my grey fabric and another sidelong look at the dog and decided NOT to give into Seasonal Affective Disorder.

Let there be colour!  Let there be pattern!  Let there be PRINT!

Stats:
Design:  The Infinity Scarf from Anna Maria Horner.  Instructions here.

Fabric:  Bought as a kit from Fanciful Fabrics on Etsy.  If you are quick, they are on sale right now.  The yellow is a cotton velveteen, the blue is a voile.

Process:
Who knew something so simple could be so complicated?  I paid heed to the instruction to pre-shrink the fabrics... and just as well I did as the velveteen shrank along its length while the voile shrank across its width.  So then I had to trim them to the same size...

Luckily, I decided to sew the long seams first, because of course the velvet wanted to shift in one direction, while the voile wanted to go the other way, no matter how many pins I used.  So my trimming required some "squaring off" of the tube before I joined the ends together, machining the velvet layer, and catch-stitching the voile layer end to end.

It's just a big fabric tube loop.  That's all it is.  But the COLOURS!  I dare anyone to feel blue wearing this piece of confectionery!
And it satisfies my need for that LouLouThi print, which I fell in lust with when I saw Scruffybadger's skirt.  I came so close to copying Ms Badger and making a wild floral skirt!  But when I realised I could have this print in velveteen in mustard?!  Too much as a skirt, but just massive enough as an infinity scarf!

And look!
I match the vacuum cleaner!
What more can a girl ask?

11 comments:

Clare said...

This looks great on you! And these are definitely the kinds of colours we need at this time of year. Lovely!

mumasu said...

I love this, I must make one :)

Karen said...

Your scarf is beautiful -- good job! It looks wonderful on you, too.

Thank you for mentioning my new Etsy fabric shop in your post.

Warm regards,
Karen
Fanciful Fabrics

xtiand said...

Oh that is lovely and I just happen to have a piece of velveteen sitting in the fabric cupboard that will be perfect for this. I might just make that tomorrow's project if I can persuade my son to occupy the dogs so I can sew without Skye running off with vital bits and pieces or sitting on the machine footpedal!

Annie said...

This is gorgeous Roo!

Rachel in Edinburgh said...

glorious!

Donna said...

Love it! That's a beautiful way to combat SAD - the grey trousers can wait. :)

Scruffybadger said...

That is the most perfect antidote to dirty dog & anticleaning activity. I love the mustard AMH with the blue. I can only imagine that it feels as luxurious as it looks....

feresaknit said...

Very nice - and Fanciful Fabrics have some very nice fabrics. Thanks for sharing that too. :D

Gail said...

Oooooh! I've seen these on AMH's website and wanted to try it. So pretty!

Alessa said...

Lovely, and just right to lift the mood!