Monday, February 06, 2012

Saturation Point

Sometime in January, possibly around the time that I ordered 8 balls of sock yarn from Germany and set up a subscription to Knit Now magazine, I tipped my comfort balance and found myself overwhelmed by future projects.
Inspiration is a wonderful thing, but I find it oppressive to have too many items in my mental knitting queue, especially when they often haven't even made it to my Ravelry queue.  It's a lot like my work email inbox:  when that starts to kick over onto a second screen, I feel like I am losing control and have to just deal with stuff to get it out of the way.

So right now I am trying to finish Seraphine.  Remember her?  I was going to finish this shawl before the first snow.  Well, fortunately we haven't had any serious snow yet this season (though it had me worried on Saturday), so technically I am still on track.  But really, all I need to do is another week of mostly-stocking stitch and perhaps a weekend of i-cord bind-off and sewing up, and she will be done.

This has become an imperative, because I need my 4mm circular needles for the lace body of Bettie's Pullover.  I have finished the ribbing.  Now, I have a niggling feeling that my Denise needles are not the best match for AlbaYarn, and that what I really need to do is buy a set of Addi Lace needles in this size.  I have a knitterly outing planned for next Saturday, when I could very well buy new needles if required... but if I vacate the Denises before then, at least I will have a chance to try them out first.

So this week is dedicated to the grey Gotland.  A plan!

That will leave me with Bettie and my second Finnish sock in the Pending pile.  Not too overwhelming at all!
Of course, life is never that simple and I keep seeing new and lovely things that I need to knit right now.
I actually caught myself contemplating signing up for a large-scale knitting commitment in the form of the Miss Babs Club.  Seriously ridiculously expensive.  Seriously not-what-I-need right now.  But, oh so tempting!  I think what appealed most was the idea that I would be delivered of a "proper" project (not just a single-skein sock affair) to be completed in two months.  And effectively the need to choose what to knit next would be removed, because I would knit what arrived, forsaking all others 'til bind-off do us part.  But what if I didn't like the kits?  A very stupid idea, Roo.

This has been my downfall in the past:  I join a (sock) yarn club full of excitement, and then a few months down the line I realise I haven't knitted any of the socks because I don't care for the pattern or the yarn or both. Exceptions to this rule:  (1) the Goth Socks Club delivered three fabulous yarns, two of which I knitted up straightaway and the third I am "saving for best" (2) the Skein Queen Club which delivered three lovely non-sock yarns and accompanying book recommendations, to add a whole new dimension to the club idea (1 knit as a gift hat, 1 "saved for best", 1 inspiring a design that hasn't worked out, but extra marks for being inspirational!) and (3)  the Crown Mountain Farms Sock Hop Club:  4 glorious handspun yarns which I am treating as too precious to knit up - tsk!

Sometimes I just want to be told what to do.  To have infinite choice taken away, so that I buckle down and  finish what I have started. 
The Liquorice Twist Gloves, the Ayli hat, Shalder, Norby, everything from Saturday Treat, another Millwater, a gazillion self-striping socks?  They will all have to wait.

So this week I will mostly be knitting rough grey handspun wool.  Pass the handcream!

8 comments:

Dibs said...

hahahahahahahha. I just passed Bodyshop Mango handcream. Enjoy!!

Kat said...

I know how you feel....I have sewing and knitting plans stacking up WAY faster than I could ever make them. If only I didn't have to work...or sleep....!

didyoumakethat said...

Aw, I think this is one of the challenges of becoming more and more immersed in the world of knitting and sewing. More opportunities open up and, as you say, sometimes less choice is a much better thing. Get knitting! Oh, and on this basis, I think I need to ban you from my giveaway. (Only joking!)

Minnado said...

I have this feeling in relation to my sewing plans...I think I know what I want to make, then start seeing different tempting patterns over the blogosphere. I start sewing things partly to move them out of the way as I have no storage! I like the grey yarn. Now go on, back to your knitting.

Annie said...

I know the feeling!

LinB said...

I knit up two socks roughly at the same time, to avoid some of your dilemma: I have two sets of sock needles loaded up and going. I do a few inches on one set, then pick up the other and knit to match. Takes a little longer than I'd like, but at least when I abandon that project for the next one, the socks are at the same stage of non-completion! Why didn't my mother tell me that when I grow up I'd have to make all my own decisions? It's the worst part of adulthood, say I.

Christine Laennec said...

Deep breath! At least all the options are positive and creative ones, unlike so many other areas in life.

soknitpicky said...

I know what you mean about too much choice! Good luck with everything. It'll be fun to see your Bettie!