Friday, March 23, 2012

Don't Panic - it's only Summer!

That glowing orb in the sky is apparently the SUN and rumour has it that we change the clocks this weekend.

I am not ready for this.

This weekend, I need to empty my wardrobe onto the bed ... again.  How can the seasonal switchover have come round so fast?  This is NOT like last year!

I was wearing my winter coat, wool scarf and mittens on Wednesday when I met a group of teens in mini skirts and vest tops.  There was some sniggering.  I suppose it could have been worse, but for once I agreed with their point of view - it was actually WARM in Aberdeen!

The Girl is having a similar panic.  What does she wear in summer?  Especially if she won't be wearing a school uniform again after next week - OMG!  NEXT WEEK!  Study leave and exams are almost upon us. 

I have offered to make her some clothes but she is understandably cagey.  Her style is not the same as mine.  And it can be so hard to look at a pattern, choose fabric and visualise the final garment - I should know!

What to make?  What to wear?

Meanwhile... I spotted this suspender skirt pattern on Etsy.  The red one.  So cute!  I love the dropped-pocket-flaps feature!  For me or The Girl?  Um... probably me.  I can see it in a duck-egg blue herringbone linen or a heavy red cotton twill.  But I can imagine she might like it in black... maybe?  Hmmm.  I may have to park my principals and take her shopping.

Or else... I suppose I could...
















Oh - and Paula?  I found something by the same designer that you might like to make for Buddy!  ; )

11 comments:

feresaknit said...

What is it with suggestions that I cloth Bud - Auntie Ann on Weds asked me (well she asked Bud actually) how come I hadn't knit him a jacket! ;D Although I do think he would look particularly fetching in that cream number.

kristenmakes said...

Wow, that dog outfit is hilarious! I agree with you on that red suspender dress, ADORABLE!

andrea said...

sew essentials has a simplicity pattern sale and I am sure I saw the steam punk pattern in there. http://www.sewessential.co.uk/?gclid=CKm686Lb_K4CFYgifAodWxkp0g

andrea said...

If that link doesn't work on the website this goes directly to the patterns list

http://www.sewessential.co.uk/CategoryTree.asp?CategoryID=1632

Carolyn said...

That dog... too hilarious...
I like the red suspender dress too; very cute!

Scruffybadger said...

I think you're very brave switching clothes around in March .... however, I am looking at what to wear today & it's totally too warm for what hangs in my wardrobe. Knowing our weather it'll snow next week ...I shall not switch just yet. Great patterns, I love your 70s eye- the red skirt is very cute. With the others, remember I have a cape pattern I can lend you (although I have even grander plans for it, oh yes)

LinB said...

Had to drag my own summer boxes out yesterday, as well. Goodbye, browns and blacks! Hello, neon green linen slacks and blouse-of-five-pink-ginghams (not necessarily worn together). All I can council you about those adorable suspender-skirts is: Be sure to put the back of the straps close together, to aid in keeping straps on shoulders. You might even consider crossing them in back.

opportunityknits said...

I just bought the spring 2012 Female mag today, and you are right, it's even better! They are coming out with magazines faster than I can sew :)
Good luck on your summer sewing!

Debi said...

I'm in denial that we switch the clocks this weekend...can it really be almost April??? Though the weather has been lovely here too! I'm so glad it's not like last year!!!

Annie said...

That poor dog looks suitably unimpressed at our laughter!

Love the steam pink number :D

Sandy said...

There's no changing of clocks in Colombia - or all of South America as far as I know. And we're heading into winter here... might get down to 68F at night once in awhile... but the days are still in the 80's (F - I still haven't managed the Celcius conversion yet.) so it doesn't feel like winter.

The most clothes shuffling I do is when I have to go to Bogota where it is perpetually cold and rainy and riding on the commercial busses is like stepping into a freezer because they run the AC to put us into suspended animation while they rumble up and down the Andes for six or so hours.

I like the red one... for you... the fluffy white outfit for Buddy.