Sunday, March 04, 2012

FO: Lisette Souvenir Simplicity 1879... with elephants

Stats:
Pattern:  Lisette Souvenir, Simplicity 1879, found on Etsy, £5.80 (including postage from US)
Fabric:  1.4m navy elephant cotton print from Ditto Fabrics, £7.58
Other:  Thread from stash, scraps of navy pin-dot fabric for facings

Process:
I chose to make size 8, based on the finished measurements:  this gave me almost 3 inches of ease, which sounded about right for a garment which skims the figure with clever, minimal shaping.
The instructions are clear and helpful, with "Lisette tips" to keep beginners on the straight and narrow.
I made View A, without the bottom frill.  This made a tunic-length top and used up every inch of my fabric by the time I matched up the elephants.
Wrong!
Lining up the binding with the neck edge
That's better!
I made my own pin-dot bias binding for the neck and used the same fabric for the yoke facing.
Everything was going swimmingly until I reached the bit where you join the sleeves to the body.
My first attempt gave me a stepped-neck feature.
I unpicked it, and lined up the bias-binding at the top of the sleeve with the straight edge of the neck and put in a couple of stitches to keep it in place.
This was all it took to get it right, and I am really impressed with the final finish of the neck facing on the inside - not a raw edge in sight!
Apart from this slight hiccup, I would say this is one of the easiest tops I have ever made:  no zips, no buttonholes, no gathered sleeve-set-ins to get wrong.
You could easily make one of these in a day.
Verdict?
Another Lisette success!
I wore my Portfolio dresses and top constantly last summer, and I can tell that this year they will be competing with the Souvenir.  I intend to make the dress version (with a deep lower-edge frill) in purple organic cotton. 
The neckline is squarer and wider than I am used to, and there is a very slight gape at my collarbone, but nothing major.
The only thing I might change is the length of the sleeve.  It is slightly too short to be 3/4 length and way too long to be "short".  As it is quite wide, it seems somehow out of proportion on the shorter view of this top, although I note the suggestion on the Lisette blog to sew it in a semi-sheer fabric, which would  make more of the deep sleeve hem.  The sleeves definitely look better from the front, as does the neckline.  I could do with longer hair... or a scarf!
And the elephants?  I think they work with the casual style of this garment.  They were never going to be office-appropriate and this neckline is rather too bare for the Corridor of Power, so it is a combination I will reserve for weekends and holidays.
I had some fun "styling" it with my Pattern Runway shorts and a belt.
The cowboy boots may just be going too far!

30 comments:

Kestrel said...

What a great make, I love the shape of the tunic and the fabric is lovely too.

Lucy said...

Loving the elephants! I would also be buying the pattern pretty much straight out if I thought it would do anything for me.

I suppose it would depend on your workplace, but I'm picturing an elephant-print Sencha - juxtaposing the vintage, fitted look with the cool print...

Anna said...

I love it! I didn't see the elephants when I was in Ditto or I probably would have bought some! The pattern is winging its way to me and I'm looking forward to having a go, just cut out another Lisette this morning and finished off a pair of Lisette trousers yesterday, must be something in the air!

Didyoumakethat said...

Wow, the who.e outfit looks AMAZING! I love it. Great styling and love the photos.

Gail said...

Super cute! I also bought this pattern, although I was kind of disappointed in the spring Lisette offerings. But your top is changing my mind!

Tanit-Isis said...

OMG, look at you! I LOVE the last pic---SO FUNKY!

Hmm, sorry for the caps there.

You totally rock the elephants, Roo. Good on ya! :)

Twelfthknit said...

I must be a very inappropriate dresser, because I think that top is perfect for work.

Clare said...

Love everything about this and the square neckline really suits you. Looks great belted with the shorts.

Miriana said...

My my, where do you work? That's a fine old neckline.

Jane said...

Oh so chic! Love it with the shorts. x

Evie said...

Fabulous! Love the fabric...it's a nice twist and not over the top. And I absolutely LOVE it with the shorts.

blue hands said...

That is VERY nice! I think your Corridors of Power must be particularly hidebound if you can't wear that (though it has to be admitted that my office days were in design offices)xxx

Joanne said...

Now that's my kinda print! I love your pattern matching skills - you've done a fabulous job. Your styling in the last photo is terrific! It looks really hip (do I sound really old and un-with it when I say that?). Oh well - you do!

feresaknit said...

Ohhhh, niceeeeee! I'm particularly taken with the shorts, cowboy boots and elephant top ensemble! :D

Donna said...

Wow! I was on the fence for this pattern but your version has me convinced. I think what you've done with it is better than the pattern envelope. And I LOVE how you've styled it w/ the shorts and cowboy boots!

so sew said...

That's great. Go on, wear it to the office... :)

Christine Laennec said...

You're a stunner in that last photo particularly. I think the cowboy boots are a must.

Scruffybadger said...

Roo, you clever thing, you! This style REALLY suits you - I think it;s the neckline with the necklace. And it also looks so special with the shorts...loving the whole ensemble. Cannot believe you matched your ellies .... I didn't plus I found I cut the collar to result in upside down ellies at the front! I do like the navy as well ....

Mags said...

Roo, do you mind horribly if I totally copy this? Because I LOVE it. So.Incredibly.Much. You look flawless.

RooKnits said...

It looks AMAZING! Esp with the belt and shorts. Jealous

Pearl said...

Roo,
Love the elephant top! It looks perfect for the office, perhaps on a Friday? I have a square neck top on the cutting table at the moment - hope it ends up looking as good as yours does on you! It really looks good with the belt, too...

Pearl in Vancouver

jessica said...

The boots are definitely NOT too much :-). And I'd love to see you sneak this one into the office. Looks super comfy for weekend wear - have been thinking more that I want to make some more casual clothing. Stuff like this! It's perfect with the elephants!

Minnado said...

oooh, I love it. I do like the lisette patterns. You are clever to think of finding the lisette pattern on etsy and what a great price! Loving the elephants too, it looks fab with the shorts and boots. xx

Annie said...

The cowboy boots are perfect, and I now need a top with teeny elephants on. It's gorgeous Roo :D

Word verifaction ... roobees! What are the odds!!

Andrea said...

Lovely! I had not given this pattern the time of day but your awesome top (and the elephants!) is making me want to buy it. The styling with your shorts is also great.

Ali said...

This looks fab, Roo. You pull off tunics really well and I love the elephants -- pattern is geometric enough to trick the eye and fun enough to make us happy :) But really, very flattering!

shivani said...

Brilliant!!! love it, and you've styled it so well! hurrah for elephant tops!

Roobeedoo said...

Thank you all so much!
On to the dress version now!

Melly Testa said...

I love what you are doing over here. I have never seen Victory Patterns before. I wonder what other pattern companies you have up your sleeve?

Anonymous said...

the dress has been sitting on my sewing table because I have been having the hardest time with the sleeves. I am going to go give it another try after reading your post. Thanks