Thursday, March 15, 2012

FO: Loopy Lemons Scarf

This is what happens when I am seized by an obsession:  I move fast!

Last week I was in search of the perfect colour of lemon... which turned out to be lime.  I failed to source matching fabric, but I found yarn which captured the essence of that colour:  "Refreshers" sweet-colour, as a couple of commenters suggested.
 As luck would have it, the latest issue of Knit Now (Issue 6) includes a pattern for a super-chunky scarflet. 
The perfect match!  It would be great for a pencil-roving or handspun yarn.
There's only one problem... this colour is really difficult to photograph!
Sunlight swallows the stitch pattern.
Shade disguises the colour.

Here's all you need to know:

It is a lemon / lime sorbet of a great big soft scarf.  Those loops are formed by deliberately dropping a stitch and unravelling it - ooh!  The heart-stopping excitement!

It took two evenings to knit.

It cost £4.50 to make (Sirdar Big Softie from Knit and Sew, 3 balls  @ £1.50 per ball)  This is the colour "Souffle". 
I love it!  :D

14 comments:

beate said...

beautyful early-spring accessoire! right for the bright sun and chilly winds and matching the "schneeglöckchen" :-)

Sølvi said...

What a fresh and spring-y color! Very nice!:-)

Minnado said...

A lovely spring scarf. It looks perfect for the unpredictable Mad March weather.

didyoumakethat said...

Wow! I may have to make one of these. Deliberately dropping stitches - oh, the heady rebellion. I love the colour and £4.50 - bargain. Looking truly lovely, despite photo challenges.

feresaknit said...

I love it too. :D

Christine Laennec said...

Really beautiful and perfect for this time of year. I think the green on either side of your blog column does help the limey-ness of the colour in the photo to come out.

Carolyn said...

Roobeedoo, what a lovely scarf, and in a divinely pretty colour! I've just read about your decision to make all your own clothes, and I commend you for it. I've had the same philosophy for the last two years, and it has been enormously personally satisfying. I wish you luck!

lizzi said...

So do I!!

LinB said...

Wow, you ARE a fast knitter! Somewhere in the depths of my bookshelves is an early issue of Threads magazine, in which a knitter deliberately dropped whole swathes of stitches, then wove yarn through the resulting weft to create a plaid fabric embedded within the knitted garment. Will seek it out for you, if you'd like. You living in Plaid Land, and all.

Snickerdoodle Smith said...

Lovely! I've entered a scarf obsession as well. It's like living in the danger zone! (Lol! Ok, not really. But it is awfully time consuming!)

Annie said...

I'd love it too, gorgeous :D

kristenmakes said...

That stitch pattern is lovely! There is something so satisfying to my internal need for destruction when I deliberately drop a stitch and watch it go!

LinB said...

Found it: "Knit One, Weave Two: Dropped stitches create ideal spaces to weave color into your knitting." By Linda M. McGurn. Threads magazine, issue 52, May of 1994, pp. 70-73. Can't find this article online -- will scan and email it to you if you are even remotely interested.

Roobeedoo said...

Hello LinB - that is really kind of you! I don't like to put my email address up on the blog, but if you leave me your email address via a very old blog post, I have comment moderation enabled and can pick up the message, delete it, and email you from my account without either of us giving our details away to the universe. Hope that makes sense!