Saturday, March 17, 2012

Without Darkness, Light has No Meaning

"Saturday Morning"
Up at 7, took photographs of patterns for my Etsy shop, dropped The Girl at the station, drove into the city.

FL and I went to the art exhibition as planned... except they were starting to pack away the paintings.  It was only noon on the final day, but as all the exhibits had sold, the gallery's work was done and they were ready to move on. 

But... the Lady Artist herself was there.  FL introduced himself and was remembered... but... astonishingly, it was me she remembered best. "You wrote about the Albigensian Heresy", she said.  I started to disagree, saying that she must be thinking of someone else, and then suddenly it all came flooding back:  my English dissertation.  How many years ago now?  1982.  Oh my.  30 years ago.  30 years ago.  And this 81-year-old lady remembered that I was the girl who wrote it... when I had almost forgotten about it myself. Crikey!

"The Avenue"
"Ladies in Tuscany"
And I thought about the precocious girl I must have been then.  And that FL and I were there together then and are here together now...

and got to thinking about the Lady Artist and how she will remember me now.

Oh my!

9 comments:

Madelaine said...

Her paintings are wonderful! I don't suppose 81-year-old artists have websites all that often...

clare said...

Such beautiful paintings! The Avenue is stunning. Funny she remembered you. The Albigensian Crusade is an area of history I'm fascinated by - I have been on holiday several times to the area around Carcassonne and Minerve, and read a great book on the subject. Did you know that in Minerve there is a small museum whose owner has recreated the entire story of the Cathars and their persecution in handmade clay figures? It's amazing!

Christine Laennec said...

I love those paintings! And how interesting that you'd forgotten your dissertation but she hadn't at all. GOOD that you and FL are together.

Tanit-Isis said...

These are beautiful paintings. And now I'm so curious, I keep catching the edges of your story and history with FL but know none of the details. Which is perhaps the way you like it, but anyway ;). And now there's this artist in the mix, who knew you both now and then...

Also, now I have to look up the Albigensian heresy. As if I needed another distraction from *my* dissertation (which I'm quite certain I won't be having discussions with artists about in thirty years, but anyway... ;) )

Miss M said...

What a wonderful story! And those paintings are lovely too.

Rachel said...

How wonderful that she remembered, you must have struck a chord with her. Thank you for sharing these beautiful paintings and introducing me to an artist in the process. They remind me of Elizabeth Blackadder's work a wee bit.

kristenmakes said...

I really love those paintings. How nice to not only meet her but also to have that connection! Sounds like a really grand experience!

Lizzi said...

I'm sorry - did I miss something - do we know who the artist is? Her work is fabulous.

didyoumakethat said...

Aw, what a lovely blog post.