Saturday, April 28, 2012

FO: Party PJs


A Bedtime Story

Once upon a time, Cinderella was invited to a party... but she didn't have a thing to wear.
So she rummaged in the suitcase under her bed and dug out 1.5 metres of white dobby dot cotton and 2 metres of reproduction Horrockses print cotton from the V&A shop and set to work.

She used a Style pattern (2290) from 1968 to make a top.  It was pretty easy, especially since there were no fastenings to worry about.

She took the pattern in by a total of four inches and faced the neck and sleeves with plain white bias binding.

Then she used a Japanese pattern book (ISBN4-579-11053-6) to trace a pair of simple trousers.

The Horrockses cotton was a printed stripe rather than a woven one and she was very glad she hadn't paid full price for it as the stripes didn't follow the grain of the fabric and were the very devil to match up.

She used French seams for the trousers as the fabric was fraying badly.

She really liked the instructions for inserting the drawstring, using buttonholes at the front waist.  She put a short piece of elastic at the back of the fabric drawstring to give her trousers a bit of grip at the waist.
"That's me all set for a quiet evening with my book," thought Cinders.

"If I attach the lamp to the top of my head I will have plenty of light to read in bed. "

Cinderella was reading "The Understudy" by David Nicholls.  He also wrote "One Day", a favourite book of her sewing-blog-friend Karen.

"Karen!  I almost forgot!"  shrieked Cinders.  "She invited me to a PARTY!  And here I am reading a book in bed?!"

Anyone up for a pillow fight?

24 comments:

didyoumakethat said...

Brilliant photos, brilliant narrative - and just look at those gorgeous PJs. Perfection. Hey, I like your bed, too!!! The embroidery - I was so close to adding some embroidery to my PJs but ran out of time and energy. Thanks for the David Nicholls tip - I haven't read that one. (Though I have been to two of his readings and fawned over him both times like a pathetic idiot.) Thanks for taking part, Roobeedoo!

Kestrel said...

Love the PJs, and the story :)

Jane said...

Fab PJ's, from one pillow fighting nutter to another!! x

sophie (monbouton) said...

nice bedtime story :) and very cute PJs. I love your top!

Marie said...

Oh how wonderful your PJs are...so fresh and playful...love them!

House of Pinheiro said...

great post read.. ahh these pjs are so worthy of cinderella. Lovely!

charlotte said...

they look lovely, stripes and flowers!!

Scruffybadger said...

Fab all round! Great PJs & that action shot - awesome! I particularly like your choice of pattern for the top - it's pretty & looks comfy for sleeping in ...

opportunityknits said...

Lovely pjs and I must say, your pj top looks pretty enough to be worn to town!

prttynpnk said...

I love the embroidery!! I'm totally envious of anyone that can answer the front door in their jammies without the neighbors starting a petition!

ElleC said...

Love the fabric, love the embroidery, love that you have a bunch of books stacked on your headboard.

Consider yourself hit with a pillow. 8-)

http://starryfishathome.wordpress.com/2012/04/28/pyjama-party/ said...

I wish I'd thought of a pillow fight shot, but that's above my auto photo taking skill level. DH is laid up with a bad foot, so would not want to hobble upstairs to help out.
I love the PJs though. (aims virtual pillow)

theperfectnose said...

Oh that's awesome! This popped into my RSS feed while Carl was still processing the images for my post and I was like, cooool, it's begun!

http://thperfectnose.wordpress.com

Christine Laennec said...

You're a hoot, Roobeedoo! Love those p.j.s and your story.

Debbie said...

Great story! Lovely PJs and another book to add to my reading list!

toboldlysew said...

Great story and lovely pjs! Glad Cinderella made it to the party!

Sew Sister said...

These are gorgeous...

the craftytraveller said...

Love the story, photos and PJs. All great!

Amy said...

Giggles and sighs, such a fun post. The top looks cool and comfy, and the striped pants are sweet.

Ginger said...

Really cute! I love these!

SimpleFibreLife said...

I really like the fabric combo. Great story too :)

Roobeedoo said...

Thanks for all these kind comments! I am falling behind in my blog-reading, but please be assured I will be returning your visit as soon as I can get to it!

feresaknit said...

I could do with some new PJs - maybe I should get B to dig my sewing machine out from under my sewing, now peritoneal dialysis, table. :D

Alessa said...

Great story! And some very lovely pyjamas! :)