Monday, April 16, 2012

Getting ready to Paaa-rrrr-tay!

I have been preparing my patterns and fabric for Karen's Pyjama Party - woo hoo!
Did you know over 100 sew-ers have  signed up?  The thought makes my head spin!

I have decided to use a vintage nightdress pattern for the top.

I had planned to make a cotton jersey camisole:  quick, easy... but when I came across this pattern (Style 2290 from 1968) from Janet's stash, my fate was sealed!

The pattern suggests "dotted swiss" as a suitable fabric, and as I already had 1.5 metres of white dobby dot in the house I decided to do the decent stash-busting thing, instead of ordering new material. 

I had 4 inches to "lose" across the bust, so took the opportunity to custom-fit the yoke and sleeves too.  When I came to shorten the mini-dress into a top, I discovered that the previous owner had made the same alteration, marking the pattern at 18 inches below the underarm, exactly where I planned to cut!  Spooky!

My pyjama bottoms will be traced from a Japanese pattern, from the first Japanese book I ever bought, "Linen and Cotton Volume 1".

The fabric came from the Victoria and Albert Museum shop and is a reproduction Horrockses' print.  I had intended to make a blouse, but when it arrived it just screamed "pyjamas" at me!

I think the two fabrics  go really well together and look quite "1960's".
I am having such fun with this project!
Are you joining the party?
Anyone else going for a vintage vibe?

9 comments:

didyoumakethat said...

Ooh, this sound SO lovely. Horrockses print - I'm green with envy. It makes my head spin, too!

Marie said...

I was eyeing this fabric up a while ago, especially as it's a really good price at the moment! You've made me want to buy some again...your PJ's are going to be so cute!!!

shivani said...

sounds lovely - looking forward to seeing how it turns out!

I'm sewing along too - but sticking with checked cotton flannel drawstring PJs.

charlotte said...

That fabric looks pretty, I'll be at the party too!

Scruffybadger said...

O the parallel life / vital statistics of Janet!!! Glad you are going vintage. i do have a vintage nightdress pattern with flounced housecoat that with more leisure I'd love to make. If no miracles arrive in that department I've opted for bloomers and maybe cami or matching top...

House of Pinheiro said...

yeahhh,, the pattern looks very sweet

Noas' Libellule said...

The pattern is great!

Ali said...

I think the pajama party is a rad idea -- here's to pretty things we can sleep in! I love vintage patterns, so much prettier than modern ones that feel like sweatpants. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with :)

juicyknits said...

The V&A fabric is perfect for pjs.