Monday, April 09, 2012

Sewing Underway and April Plans


Batwing shirt - the black one on the right
 Bats:
On Sunday I made a start on a Batwing Shirt using my Japanese sewing pattern magazine, Female Spring 2012.
I traced the pattern on holiday and had all sorts of mad plans to make it in black cotton lace or chiffon... but practicality and the stash intervened and I decided to use some deco daisy print silky cotton I bought from Croft Mill over a year ago.  I didn't expect to have enough fabric, as the pattern specified 2.9 metres and I only had 2... but I managed to squeeze all the pieces out and match the daisies!

So far so good...  I hope to get it sewn up over the next few evenings.

PJs:

Have you seen?  Karen is planning a Pyjama Party!
This is excellent timing, because I recently bought some fabulous fabric to make a top... only to realise when it arrived that it looked more like a pyjama print.  I do not currently own anything resembling pjs, and have an overnight trip planned with The Girl in June, so something needed to be done!  I plan to use a Japanese pattern to draft some bottoms and rustle up a matching camisole top.  Yay!  Party time!

Other Plans:
I have two other stash-busting projects lined up for April:

Suspenders

My suspender-skirt pattern arrived and I need to try it out on something inexpensive before I take the plunge and buy some very very special independent-designer fabric at £35 A METRE.  (Pass the smelling salts.)

I have some pinstripe tropical wool in the stash (cost = £3) which will do nicely.  Very work-appropriate!

Neverland Shirt

And finally, I plan a crisp white shirt using the Neverland pattern I drafted from scratch using Female Spring 2012.  Again, this will be using stash fabric, mixing dobby dot with a pique weave as I don't have enough of either and I reckon they will work well together.

Impressed by my plans? Ha! Now I just have to stick to them.  While I was checking my notebook to see what was in the stash, I came across my April 2011 sewing plan:  I made only one of the items on my list! 
Hopeless!

7 comments:

Marie said...

Oooh, what lovely plans! And if we can't treat ourselves to 'pricey' fabric now and again...then what's the point eh!?!

Felicity from Down Under said...

Just because you only made one of the things on your plan doesn't mean you're hopeless. You made plenty of other things. Plans are guidelines, to help us keep our ideas organised. Nobody says we have to stick to them if something better comes along!

Alessa said...

Very impressed with your plans! The suspender skirt pattern looks cute, as do the Japanese patterns! I'm also looking forward to the PJ sew-along!

Scruffybadger said...

Roobeedoo, how stylish are these going to be? They all as if they will be great coordinates & make a style statement when worn together. I love your eye for a look. I am so impressed by your self drafted Japanese pattern also ....
And that you are contemplating £35/m fabric? Well, you have such skill that it can be trusted to you (I fear I would go to pieces & mess up anything that classy!)

Roobeedoo said...

Scruffy - I hadn't thought of them as items that fit together but you're right, they should! As for the contemplation of £35 fabric... it is only one metre's worth, so the skirt will cost £35, which is less than a standard M&S off-the-hanger job. And I am still prevaricating!

Roobeedoo said...

Scruffy - I hadn't thought of them as items that fit together but you're right, they should! As for the contemplation of £35 fabric... it is only one metre's worth, so the skirt will cost £35, which is less than a standard M&S off-the-hanger job. And I am still prevaricating!

Christine Laennec said...

I agree with Scruffybadger, these will all go well together. And yes, £35 is nothing for a skirt.