Sunday, April 01, 2012

Through the Picture Window

Greetings from our woodland retreat!

Our eco-home for a week is set high up among the trees above Loch Broom near Ullapool.

The sitting room is huge and we have each claimed a corner:  FL with his newspapers; The Girl with her school books, huddled by the fire currently revising Biology;  and me with my Japanese pattern book and drafting paper, spread out on the floor in front of the French windows.  The dog is outside, nose in the wind, inhaling the pine forest.
I  have made a start on tracing the pattern for a batwing-sleeved shirt.  I have a card table for support, and chess pieces as pattern weights.

I can now recognise the Japanese character for "fold of fabric".

I have deduced from the narrowness of the cuff and collar pieces that seam allowances are not included and I will have to remember to add them when I cut my fabric.

Space in the car was at a premium so I haven't brought any fabric or my sewing machine.

This is a week devoted to pattern preparation and I am enjoying the luxury of having a wide expanse of clean and clear carpetted floor to crawl around my drawing table.

My next project will be a bit trickier:  drafting a pattern from scratch.

I think I will do some knitting first!

As I write, the morning's mist is lifting and I have high hopes of another sunny day.  We have already taken the dog out for a walk in the woods that surround us.
So peaceful!

11 comments:

didyoumakethat said...

Ooh, that looks blissful!

StephC said...

Oh! Thanks for sharing the beautiful pictures. Wow.

I'll be interested to see your progress with the japanese pattern books. :)

so sew said...

Aw, that's so lovely.

feresaknit said...

Looks wonderful. Be sure and have a great time. :D

Christine Laennec said...

That looks fantastic! Hope you have good times indoor and out.

Kestrel said...

It looks like heaven, so envious of that big beautiful window. Have a lovely holiday.

Sandy said...

I know with such a peaceful environment you are all having a wonderful time. Thanks for sharing it by photo!

Annie @ knitsofacto said...

Just catching up ... how did I miss a week's worth of posts! The muddle thing ... me too. Hope your holiday is the most un-muddling ever, and happy pattern drafting :D

Scruffybadger said...

Green with envy, in a very Eco friendly way!!

Linda said...

I can almost smell the forest air!
Do you know you're near another Scottish blogger - Annie at 'Brookwood Letters': http://brookwoodletters.blogspot.co.uk/

Alessa said...

Sounds lovely. :) Have a good holiday!