Friday, May 18, 2012

No FOs... but some WIPs to report

It has been a strange couple of weeks in the mind of Roobeedoo.  Perhaps it is a side-effect of Me-Made-May that my stitching had ground to a virtual standstill, while my brain was whirling with ideas....  Ideas which were discarded as soon as I dragged the fabric out of its suitcase.

Madonna in Desperately Seeking Susan
Somewhere around the middle of this week, I gave myself a mental boot up the derriere and decided to take the plunge and just start making something, anything.  I went back to my previous plans, and remembered the Desperately Seeking Susan top.  It is a very simple over-sized tee from my Female Spring 2012 Japanese pattern magazine. 


the pattern, Female Spring 2012
 I actually bought some glow-in-the-dark yellow sweatshirting to make this... but it hurt my eyes.  Please stop laughing at me - I stun myself with my own stupidity sometimes!  I have yet to find an alternative use for the hi-viz fabric:  I am pondering using it to line a bag, so that I will never lose anything in the dark depths - smart, huh?!
Viscose jersey
So instead, I decided to tackle my super-stretchy bird print viscose jersey.  The print is thicker than the base fabric, which sounds like a recipe for disaster, but actually gives it much-needed stability.  The garment is almost complete, pending the arrival of some bias binding.  I am very pleased with it, but scared the neck will stretch out completely if I try to put it on before it is bound, so you will have to wait for the FO.

I already mentioned having cut out my tulip skirt.  I ought to get going on this next, as my zips have arrived.  My only concern is that I need to stiffen the shaped waistband, to avoid curling-Ginger-syndrome.  Scruffy Badger used buckram on hers recently... hmmm.  Thinking...

But I think this weekend might involve another Darling Ranges dress...

10 comments:

natalie said...

Curtain pelmet type stiffening might work? Vilene make something like it. Quieter than traditional Buckram!

Scruffybadger said...

I'm not sure if it is proper traditional buckram, it might be the same that Natalie is referring to ....I've also been referred to boning (shh!) but I don't think it would overcome the sweetheart curling.

I bought some dayglo for a Madonna type running top - so not toooo silly!

And I really want to stamp my foot at you - at the beginning of the week I was this close to buying darling Ranges (it was Mela that did it) - all week I have forgotten - until you bring it up again! Iam struggling NOT to buy, because I want a round neck dress like this & I think it looks draftable ....what do you reaally think? Shouldd I splash out? Sorry typing on a gadget that's tricky!

Roobeedoo said...

Hi Scruffy - I think you have the ability to make your own Darling Ranges-type pattern. I am the first to admit that the pattern requires adjustment to fit properly on the bodice (and I bet you already have a bodice that fits from other dresses you ahve made!) and the skirt is literally a gathered rectangle. The sleeve is narrow, but that works for me. The reason I will use this pattern again is that I don't have much experience of dress-making and I made this one work - and if it works, don't fix it! You are a DRESS maker and I think you would be frustrated by the simple-ness of the (expensive, but beautifully-produced!)pattern.

theperfectnose said...

You could interface the waist with cotton canvas (pre-washed and ironed) that way it'll hold it's shape and still be flexible..

Roobeedoo said...

Perfectnose and Natalie - thank you for these suggestions. I am going to have a rummage in my suitcase and see what I could put in my sandwich!

Scruffybadger said...

That's really interesting roobeedoo, thank you. I shall take heart from what you say and squander my pennies elsewhere.....and continue to be reminded of the petfectness, and the obvious real need that I have for such a dress in my wardrobe. I think it reminds me of my sixth form fashion, which is why such a style niggles....

Roobeedoo said...

Scruffy? Maybe you should just buy it! ;)

opportunityknits said...

Can't wait to sew how your over-sized tee will look like. The bird print jersey looks perfect for it!

christinelaennec said...

Thanks for making me laugh out loud at the bit of your post on your glow-in-the-dark fabric...

Alessa said...

That's a lovely fabric!