Saturday, May 26, 2012

This is Summer

Astonishingly, it is hot.

My garden is in shock:  alliums are collapsing under the weight of their own flowerheads, desperate for a drink.

Starlings are nesting in the eaves and wake The Girl at 5am.
The pheasants woke me this morning at 5.30 and I almost considered getting up there and then, as the sun was streaming through the curtains.  But I managed to hold out until 6.30.

The washing was on the line by 7 and I was painting the bathroom by 8.

Then there was intensive cleaning and tidying and squirrelling-away of things that didn't ever need to be where I found them.  The Sofa of Doom has been cleared!  I washed the throw and the cushion-covers and I scoured the floor.

Raspberry, Blueberry and Lime Drizzle Cake has been baked.  There is a chilli in the slow cooker.

At 3.30, The Boy and His Girl arrived with all their worldy goods and set up house in his childhood bedroom for the summer.  There are unusually-sized boots in the hallway.  The dog is running this way and that, in confusion.

The next few weeks will be a patchwork of children arriving and departing, with music festivals to attend and visits to be made to other outposts of this crazy mixed-up family.   FL and I will be here, waiting.  Getting on with the everyday as the young people come and go.  A quiet summer at home this year, I think.  Watching the barley grow.

15 comments:

Lorna A said...

Sounds just perfect to me. Enjoy.

Didyoumakethat said...

What a beautiful write up. You will be the perfect mother-host what energy you have!

Debi said...

Love this post! And hasn't the weather been amazing?

Marie said...

Beautifully written post Roobeedoo...enjoy!

Katy47p said...

Poor little Alliums, it is perfect weather here in Southern England too. Well done for clearing the sofa of doom.

ElleC said...

My goodness. I am tired after just reading what you have done today. But then again, I am lazy. 8-D

Seriously though, pleased to hear England is finally getting some summer weather. Enjoy.

CCK said...

And even more surprising since it's Scotland! Wonderful summer wishes for your family this summer, R.

Kirsty said...

Sounds just perfect.

Annie @ knitsofacto said...

Sounds like a plan to me, and rather familiar!

mumasu said...

Sounds busy but happy :), plus the second word on your verification is "rest" haha

Scruffybadger said...

Kind of similar down here too! But I couldn't have put it as eloquently as you. I seem to have one boy staying for a week to be replaced by the other for two weeks with his girlfriend joining us for part of his stay also...phew! For me it seems to mean "better organisation required" around the domestics (I clearly need to learn some lessons from you) ...but isn't it great to feel more like a family again :-)

Linda said...

Oh the lovely ebb and flow. Same sort of thing here - contents of a Glasgow student flat failing to fit in to son's bedroom. We quite forgot that we had 'gifted' him a large living room rug and a dining room table. And now they're back...

christinelaennec said...

For a split-second I read that you'd been awakened by "the peasants" at 5:30!

Good luck with all the summertime transitions. I hope everyone has enjoyed this amazingly warm weather. You have a lot of energy!

Alessa said...

Sounds like the perfect prelude to summer. :)

Roobeedoo said...

Thanks everyone! I really must get round to booking some time off work!