Monday, May 14, 2012

Wuthering Weekend


The Farmer's Wife, 12 May 2012
Originally uploaded by ruknits

Another weekend without sewing progress. Sigh.



I did cut out my bluebird pansy tulip skirt - a slippery and exhausting process, even after employing Casey's top tip to lay the fabric on muslin*. It does work, except when your muslin is lumpy underneath and you pin your main fabric to it, then try to get your scissors past the lump. Guess what happens? Yup - your slippery fabric gets pulled out of alignment: Warp Factor Ten. I may have cut a horribly mis-shapen skirt. Time will tell. But I do now know that I have enough of this fabric to make a Darling Ranges dress too - woo hoo!



*Muslin? Ah... I forgot that Casey is American. She meant calico didn't she? Damn, that would lie flat wouldn't it?



The main reason I didn't sew was that the post did not come on Saturday. I was expecting a delivery of invisible zips. FL quipped that they had perhaps arrived and I just hadn't seen them - ho ho ho!



So after doing the chores and taking The Girl for a haircut in the city, I just settled down with my knitting. I have completed three pattern repeats of the Arrowhead Stitch. It is forming stripes of what look to me like yellow tulips. I am concerned that the textured striping is not terribly flattering - the Michelin Man look is not my favourite. But I am not giving up now. It is too soon and too late (if that makes any sense).



Sunday was not much more productive. I was just plain tired. I did some desultory wind-battered weeding in the herb garden and then retreated to the sofa to knit and supply moral support to the revision of Standard Grade Biology and German.



I am reading "Wuthering Heights". Not for the first time, I cannot get my head round who is who. This is ridiculous! I gave up on Emily Bronte during my degree, while waxing lyrical about Charlotte. But surely I can use the family tree diagram at the front of the book to back up my Kate Bush version of events? The only thing I learned about WH at University was that it was full of imagery of windows and doors. But right now my main sympathy is with the suspicious farm dogs in the opening sequence: I want to bite the characters' knees and get them out of my house. Oh dear.

15 comments:

Kate said...

Wuthering Heights is my favourite book. I'd blame Kate Bush for giving everyone the idea that Heathcliff was some sort of romantic hero, if it wasn't for every film adaptation I've seen doing the exact same thing. *shakes fist*

Cazz said...

Have you checked out the Tom Hardy version. It's on Netflix.

Bundana said...

You're right, that book is easily give-up-able!

Bundana said...

PS. You are hardcore, if the wind was anything like it was in Ireland yesterday... twas a no-go. My dog never gets tired (Cocker Spaniel) but he was zonked after an hour walking against that wind! I tried taking some pics of my new dress outside- quite funny result! (See blog)

So Calico is a bit different to muslin, good point... noted for future reference!!

Bundana x

Nikki said...

I just stick to watching adaptations on dvd! I tried reading Emma by Jane Austen once, but the way english was written then messes with my brain the way text speak does!! I have the ITV version of WH on dvd, it's easier to see than read possibly. I've no idea how close to the book it is though! If it is any consolation my sewing is suffering in favour of the garden (no rain at the mo)and I have dress to get done by the end of the month!!

LinB said...

I first read WH in comic-book form, in the mid 1960s. It didn't make any better sense in that format. Probably my worldview is too far different from the social norms of the writer's time for me to ever truly understand (or care about) any of the characters. Still, it must be famous for a reason ... it is certainly still on many required reading lists!

Lynne said...

FL is such a wag!!! That one was straight out of the Dad Joke Book!! :)

Scruffybadger said...

Oh the zip joke wad excellent!! I read wh a few months ago and had to draw a family tree. That helped, but gave away some of the later plot, but it was worth it. Actually I had to google the family tree, I think it should be in the front of the book myself....

Linda C said...

Favorite bok in High School-used to read it once a month. I confess also I am a Jane Austen. they used to have great radio shows, short versions of the books- hooked me on classics.

LindaC

christinelaennec said...

Very funny FL joke! And you are allowed a weekend to relax, you know. You look fab in that outfit!

indigorchid said...

I couldn't finish Wuthering Heights. I rarely give up on books, but this one, I just felt like I was reading the same thing over and over - things were not progressing! Though, maybe that's the point of the story - doomed family histories. I love Jane Austin though, even with the mind-alteration that Nikki mentioned where you start to speak that way and find everyone else horribly modern. Happening as I am typing, indeed it is.

Adele said...

Haha, I struggled through Wuthering Heights too.. its hard going and requires many cups of tea! I love what you said about muslin, being in New Zealand we follow more colonial rules of English and spelling and meanings of words. It always confuses me reading about making things out of muslin as I wonder how on earth that could be useful, muslin here is a gauzy fabric used for things like draining fresh cheese and swaddling newborns in the summer! Its sewing applications I think are somewhat limited! Calico on the other hand is brilliant stuff!

Joanne said...

Heheh I chuckled away at that FL joke :) I LOVE Wuthering Heights - it's so romantic and tragic. Persevere with it although it might make a better wintry read by the fire.

Ali said...

Ha! Wuthering Heights was much easier this go-round than last time, some 15+ years ago. I feel the novel could end about 3/4 in. I actually just tried to watch the newest version of Wuthering Heights and couldn't get through it (though I'll try it again) because it was so rough and difficult and raw. But certainly, I'm all for putting down books when there are so many others in the world. I felt that way about Eliot's Middlemarch, but I loved the BBC series. ;)

Btw, loving your outfit posts, fun to see how you mix vintage and color in with basics.

Alessa said...

I think I dropped Wuthering Heights about 1/3 in. Then again, I stopped reading Jane Eyre about 2/3 in. Regency might just not be my cup of tea... Cute cardi there at the top, I love the colour!