Saturday, June 30, 2012

Even Cake Looks Better when the Sun Shines

I was woken this morning by bright sunlight pushing apart the curtains.  I cannot tell you what a relief it was not to face yet another day of thick grey fog and rain!

I caught up on two weeks' worth of washing, zoomed to the library to collect my latest batch of reservations...  and then attacked my fabric stash.

It wasn't nearly as bad as I thought.

Apart from a coat-length of heavy wool, it all fits into a single suitcase.  So I was entirely wrong when I thought that it was overwhelming me.

At least... its volume was not overwhelming, but the weight of guilt it inspired was pretty huge.  I definitely felt the psychological pressure of its unused yardage suffocating me every time I thought about buying new fabric.

But like all dark secrets, it is wise to bring the stash out into the light of day for cross-examination every so often.  Blow away the cobwebs.  Let in the sunlight.

See?

It's not so bad!

Actually, once I got past the dull brown wool and the grey pinstriped suiting, there was a lot to make me smile :)

That black cotton will make a fine pair of everyday trousers for work - I just need to choose a funky pattern.

The red drill is a recent buy and it is destined to be a snazzy 70's suspender-skirt:  ooh!

The creamy cotton eyelet is just plain gorgeous and crying out to be made into something fabulous... and soon!

The orange-striped seersucker?  Lovely!  And look - there's my watermelon linen to make some pleated shorts like the Wearing History ones - woo hoo!

Where's that sewing machine?  Let me at it!

But the dark dull evenings have not been entirely wasted.

I finished my first Licorice Allsort sock.

It's the same pattern that I used for Dots and Stripes, Dotty by Carrie Sullivan.

What can I say?  I just love knitting this pattern!

Sock two will be cast on tonight... after I do some sewing :D

What?  You're only here because I promised cake?

OK!

Raspberry and Blueberry Lime Drizzle Cake from this book.  There are advantages to having guests for the summer - they bring their Christmas presents back with them! ;)






4 comments:

Scruffybadger said...

Oh, I really covet the embroidered cream.....and I love pinstripes too...in fact your stash I think is cute and def Full of potential....your plans are exciting!! Yum for the cake......am coveting that too!!

christinelaennec said...

Your stash looks entirely manageable to me - and what a lovely suitcase it lives in! The cake also looks and sounds incredibly yummy. And what pretty pillowcases - did you embroider them?

So nice to see the sun for a change. Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

Ha ha: the Captcha word is "nonEuro"!

Gail said...

What a pretty stash! Can't wait to see what you make of these fabrics :-)

I'm with you re: the oppressive nature of the stash though! My pipeline of projects is starting to stress me out! So much to sew, so little time!

Minnado said...

Only one suitcase? That is a highly manageable stash! Lovely fabrics too, especially like the sound of red drill suspender skirt. Washing on the line - always a good thing, it's that fresh air smell you get afterwards. Yummy looking cake too.