Saturday, June 09, 2012

FO: Renfrew Tee (circa 1977)

I was all set to use this fabric to make a 1970's-pattern t shirt, when I remembered that I still hadn't tried out the Renfrew pattern that I snapped up in a pre-release deal from Sewaholic Tasia.  Considering the most yawning gap in my me-made wardrobe is for everyday long-sleeve t-shirts, this was just blatant ignorance.

So, on Wednesday evening I curled up on the sofa and cut the tissue pattern (yes, really, curled on the sofa!) and then summoned the energy to clear the table and lay out the fabric.  Somehow, it took me until midnight to get all the pieces cut - tsk!  On a work night!

On Thursday evening I made swift work of dinner, walked the dog and then cleared the decks to sew.  I stopped at 10.30pm with just the cuffs left to attach...
...which suggests that I could easily make one of these in about 5 hours, start to finish.

I decided to make the scoop-necked version with 3/4 length sleeves.  I had a metre of this anonymous "designer" jersey fabric and there is still a fair chunk leftover:  dotty knickers anyone?
Spots match at the front hem!

Stats:
Pattern:  Renfrew by Sewaholic, View A neck with View C sleeves, in size 2.
Fabric:  cool silky-feeling fairly stable "designer" jersey, probably viscose, from Minerva Crafts on eebaay, 1 metre for £5.99
Other: two tiny oddments of neon yellow ribbon to stabilise the shoulder seams; thread.


Spots do NOT match at the back hem - boo!
Process:
Very straightforward sewing.

I used the vari-overlock stitch on my Bernina, for the first time understanding that I had to change the presser foot to "Number 2" and not adjust the pressure of the foot to number 2 - duh!  It uses a lot of thread, but this stitch does all the work of a straight-stitched seam plus a zigzag in one line of stitching.  I then trimmed my seams to about 3/8".

The only mistake I made was to use neon ribbon to stabilise the shoulder seams.  The fabric is quite lightweight, and in strong light there is a distinct neon glow across my shoulders.

Size 2 is a pretty good fit for me I think.  I could possibly have graded it down to a 0 at the hip but I am not that pernicketty about a t-shirt.

Verdict:
Slinky! ; )
I realise that the print on this fabric is probably an acquired taste.  I would love to know the name of the "designer"... I suspect it is more likely to be "George at Asda" rather than Schiaparelli!  It reminds me very strongly of a dress I made when I was about 13, so that would have been 1977.   It definitely has a 70's vibe!

Does anyone recognise this print from the High Street?  I am thinking it could be somewhere like Wallis or maybe Hobbs?
It has a really lovely "handle" and drape.  I am tempted to head back to Minerva on eebaay to see what else I can find from this range.
Anyway... I love the neckline - not too high, not too low and there is no gaping trouble at the back.  I am not entirely sure I like the waistband and cuffs, but they do an excellent job of holding the shape - no ripple-y hemlines!  The sleeves are smooth-fitting without being clingy. 
OK - I admit it:  this is a really good "go-to" pattern for stretch knits!  I will definitely be making more of these and trying out the various neck and sleeve options.
Woo hoo!

19 comments:

Kestrel said...

It's lovely, great fabric and looks like a fantastic style you'll make again and again.

Joan said...

What Kestrel said! Looks so good on you!

DidyoumakethatDidyoumakethat said...

That print screams Boden to me. Did you know that Kate Bosworth has been copying your scalloped shorts! http://www.redcarpet-fashionawards.com/category/blog/blog-celebrities/kate-bosworth/

Penny said...

Yes, it is definately Boden in style - very nice.

Anna said...

Looks fab, I'm so glad it fits without alteration. After stripes dots are my favourite, love that print!

christinelaennec said...

Wow! You're amazing - not only in the production side of things, but the outfit/styling, etc. side. The print reminds me of Orla Kiely as much as of Boden.

Donna said...

That looks great on you! I love the print too :)

Cazz said...

Love spots and love 70s colours. Therefore it Rocks.

toboldlysew said...

Looks great - love the whole outfit together!

jessica said...

Swoon - I love it!!!

Also, I am very flattered that I might have had anything to do with the lovely blouse refashion a couple posts back. Debbie's lovely lace perked that blouse right up!

Kirsty said...

The top is perfect and super styled with your shorts and boots!

Marie said...

I think your 70s vibe Renfrew is very cool - the quality of your jersey looks fantastic too. I know what you mean about the bands on this pattern though - I don't particularly like the way they look, but like you, I admit that they do a great job at keeping the structure spot on.

Gail said...

So cool! I really love this one! The color is great on you, and I love it with the shorts :-)

Scruffybadger said...

It's def a winner, looks Ab fab with the shorts, but many other items I expect too. Hoorah for finding a great go to pattern. Yes, Boden is my thought too....

Ali said...

Hooray for a go-to pattern! They're like gold and you manage to get your hands on some pretty rockin' knits. This'll go well with your growing 70s wardrobe :)

Lynne said...

It's fantastic!! And I love the fabric, very groovy!! :)

LinB said...

"Dotty Knickers" sounds like a character in a 1940s village mystery novel. Could be your professional wrestling moniker, should you ever go in for such a thing.

shivani said...

this looks great - love the whole outfit. the colours definitely remind me of Orla Keily, and the spotty pattern reminds me of Boden. great job!

Linda said...

I love your fabric choice! I bought lots of solid color knits for renfrew but I should try it with dots! I love your shorts too, could I know what pattern is that? Thanks!