Tuesday, June 19, 2012

FO: Very Very Circus Knickers

When I finished my Renfrew tee I joked that I might use the leftover fabric to make a pair of spotty knickers.
I was tidying up at the weekend and came across the remnant, which I had shoved in a bag next to my knicker elastic collection. 
Ooh!  I have orange stretch lace! :D
Housework was abandoned for an hour or so, because I knew that if I hesitated too long I would never actually do the deed.

Process:
I used my "Pants To Poverty" tracing, but added a bit more depth to the front to support the broad elastic.
I have never used stretch lace before so I followed my instincts:  I vari-overlocked it along the raw edge of the knicker fabric, stretching the lace quite a bit to give it some grip.  I used my ordinary Bernina stitch number 6 for this - you truly do not need a serger to sew knit knickers!  I stitched it again lower down, about 5mm from the edge of the scallops to stop the lace from rolling.

Verdict?
Probably the most comfortable knickers I have made to date.  Yay!

Why "Circus" knickers?

OK, there is no way I am going to show you pictures of this... you will just have to imagine me doing a high-knees jog around the house at 7 am this morning wearing my spotty knickers, matching t-shirt and over-the-knee argyll-patterned socks.

FL was laughing so hard there were tears in his eyes ; )

14 comments:

LinB said...

Yay!

Sigrid said...

You are not going to post a video of that? Think about what the world is missing out on! These seem like the perfect antidote to a boring day.

Dibs said...

It is beautiful....and I INSIST...I WANT a video.

RooKnits said...

They are fabulous....

Annie @ knitsofacto said...

You tease us with your talk of dancing in circus knickers and not so much as a pic of an argyll socked toe flying high ;D

Actually, I am seriously in awe of anyone who makes their own (very spotty) knickers, whether they join the circus in them or not!

Gail said...

I am totally in love with these!

blue hands said...

Nothing like a bit of underwear related hilarity to start the day!

Scruffybadger said...

I am all imagination - it's a perfect concoction!! Great pants!

Lucy said...

I completely understand why you don't want to post a picture... but man, would I love to see it ;-)

Anonymous said...

roo, those knickers are adorable - and may i just say? - playfully sexy, with those cheery dots, trimmed in the ooo-la-la orange lace. just the thing to make you feel jazzed on a dreary weather day. I WANT SOME OF THOSE!

karen

Urban Rustic said...

I make all of my knickers now and all from the leftover scraps of jersey from other things...and they are all the most comfortable knickers ever worn.My lot think it is extremely laughable too...especially as I am now knitting winter underwear too!

Lynne said...

Oh my goodness! These are fantastic!! :)

Roobeedoo said...

Thank goodness for editorial standards, eh? I spared you a mind-scarring picture! No, really, no way could I show you that!
Urban Rustic - you KNIT winter underwear?! WOW! My hat is off to you!

shivani said...

wow - fab pants!!!!! (scary circus man, though!) x