Saturday, June 02, 2012

Orla Made Me Do It

Don't you just hate it when something you like becomes ubiquitous?  So you think you are being all unique and individual, only to look up from your shopping trolley and see that very particular style being reproduced by a major chainstore?

Orla Kiely.  Those pears and leaves are everywhere.  I bought my mugs at Tesco.

Old picture from tea-posie-construction days
But maybe it is possible to extract the essence of the attraction and use that as inspiration, rather than taking an entirely literal route?  I have a terrible tendency towards the literal rather than the lateral.

Literal:  knit the handwarmers from my Knit Now magazine  / Skein Queen kit


Lateral:  take those colours and a 1970's t-shirt pattern and experiment a little.













Or throw my principles to the wind and purchase an actual "Orla Kiely for Uniqlo" scarf (£9.90)

If I am really lucky it will turn out to be a charity collaboration like my Laura Ashley one...?

Yes, of course I bought the lime green one.


4 comments:

theperfectnose said...

That is the best one XD. Years ago Carl got me an Orla Kiely umbrella from the Tate for Christmas. Yellow with the same leaf detail. I still use it.

christinelaennec said...

I suppose the other way to look at it is that for once, the high street has shown discerning taste?

shivani said...

what... Orla in Uniqlo?! how did I not hear of this! (*grabs handbag, runs out the door*)

Big Alice said...

Well, OF COURSE. *love*. I think I need to go dye something lime green now.