Thursday, June 28, 2012

Tangents, Roses and Stale Bread

Another week of heading off on tangents has meant I still haven't got to my sewing plans - I haven't got to either the plans OR the sewing! 

Kestrel wrote a great post yesterday about planning, and she got me at question number one:  "Do you really want to make a plan?"  My instinct was to shout at her:  "Yes OF COURSE I do!  Don't you know who I am?"  Tsk - childish, Roo!  Just because Planning is in the day job description, it doesn't mean I follow through in "real life"... in fact it probably makes me more likely to rebel!

Last night, I did try to make a start.  I cleaned the floor of whole-body dog-prints, got out two lengths of fabric from the stash and  laid out the pattern pieces for a vintage shell top... then I carefully folded them all up and put them away again. 
I discovered that I only need 0.6 metres to make that scalloped-hem shell top, and I was reluctant to sacrifice 1.4 metres of a distinctive rose print.  What would I do with the excess? 
I know I don't want two tops in the same fabric, so it felt like a terrible waste.  I have exactly 0.6 metres of cream broderie anglaise... but I just wasn't feeling it.  I already have a vintage eyelet shell top.

Kestrel goes on to discuss the need to make it interesting - don't just sew the basics, or sentence yourself to sewing stash fabrics you don't actually like... oh my!  Was she inside my head when she wrote this?!  More than anything else, I think I need plain coloured bottom halves and I know I should use the fabric in my stash... but it feels so dull.

Some of my stash fabric has been around so long that I can't "see" it anymore.  What made me buy it?  There was definitely an element of: "that will never go wrong, it's such a basic must-have staple" when I bought the brown wool, the black moleskin, the pinstripe suiting. Yawn!

Remember the fabrics I was looking for in Mandors?  Cobalt blue, mustard, orange... anything but boring!

There has been a lot of discussion in blogland recently of sewing "cake" or "frosting".  Readers, I am in danger of trying to sew STALE BREAD!  No wonder I'm not excited by it!
So I have been knitting a sock.

 
Let me distract you with my new nail polish:  Alister Stella Gray Rose. Designed especially for Stella Mccartney, Fall / Winter 2011 Paris Fashion Week (Name dropper!)

This is a lovely neutral dead salmon colour which matches my skin tone pretty well.

Ha!

22 comments:

Tamsin said...

I need to read Kestrel's post! I have written plans and ignored them, I have plans in my head that have been ignored. I look at my fabric and think 'i could make this, this, or this'. No wonder I don't actually make much.

Jane said...

Thanks for this, you've just convinced me to give away/liberate some of my stash fabric I'm NEVER going to use. No way am I going to sew stale bread!
I LOVE that nail polish, probably because it matches my skin tone pretty well too.... x

christinelaennec said...

Planning is one of my greatest pleasures in life, but luckily the plan is one thing and reality is another and I'm glad I can change my mind and just make another, better, plan!

Gail said...

Stale bread! What an apt description!

Love your new polish ;-)

didyoumakethat said...

Stale bread, dead salmon... Do you want some mouldy bread to go with that?!!! I think that's the danger with stashes - you fall out of love with fabrics before you have chance to do anything with them. You ordered your shorts pattern yet?!!!

Roobeedoo said...

Karen - the shorts pattern isn't released until 4 July - I will race you to it!

LinB said...

"Stale bread, dead salmon and moldy cheese" sounds like a color-blocking combo from the website Anthroparodie. Not terrible colors, but not the colors to compliment your own delicate, watercolor pale prettiness. Use the brown and black to make some wardrobe staples, but do an unexpected silhouette, and through some neon piping into the seams, or day-glo rickrack. Make the rose-emblazoned shell and then use the rest of the fabric for an apron, or a huge kerchief to tie up your hair when gardening. Make a long fabric tube to cover the dog's leash.

prttynpnk said...

My job is so time oriented that I have a little trouble regimenting myself in the sewing area- but I know I need to plan and stay to it!

Anonymous said...

The "stale bread" syndrome - I've run into it with knitting projects and can see how it could afflict sewing as well. I've also learned from knitting that I tend to fall out of love with "plain basics" as well as any yarns that have been in stash too long (at least I can put them up for sale on Rav). From now on, nothing but giddy treats for me!

I like LinB's ideas for your rose fabric.
-- stashdragon

To Boldly Sew said...

'Stale bread' - love it! On a different note, is that nail polish translucent / French style or a solid?

Roobeedoo said...

Lin B - so many great ideas! :D Thank you!

Roobeedoo said...

To Boldly Sew - the nail colour is fairly solid and glossy... but only after three coats! ;)

Kestrel said...

Hehe, love this post - stale bread is perfect to describe all that dead weight of fabric and patterns that have been collected but will never be used.

dottiedoodle said...

I was having just this conversation with a sewing friend last week. We were actually getting quite depressed about the amount of 'stale' fabric (love that description) we both have. So... we've booked a table at a rag market in the autumn! Just have to focus on the day on not buying more fabric than we sell!

sylkotwist2006 said...

I spent an hour yesterday trying to make space in my stash for some new purchases. I had a pile of fabrics to keep, a pile to give to my mum and a pile for ebay but I caved in and put them all back in my cupboard … just in case! If you put exciting new fabrics in between the stale ones you'll have stale bread sarnies!

indigorchid said...

Oh, Roo - you make me laugh! Thank you for that, you funny, funny woman.

natalie said...

Do you have a list of favourite or challenging sewing blogs? I can't see a blogroll in the sidebar, but I'm sure you must have a wee "stash" of sites worthy of a visit.
Could you share please?

jessica said...

"Stale bread" - love it!!!

I vote for making the shell out of the beautiful rose fabric, since that's what you want, and then swapping the remainder with another blogger (preens + winks) so that you get 2 blouses, a shell in the fabric you want, and maybe some fun, extra tidbits! I'm sure I must have some Roo-worthy fabric around here somewhere ...

In all seriousness though, I've found that I specifically do NOT get to 3/4 of my sewing plans when I make them, so I've been trying to break myself of the habit. It's not working terribly well though ...

Sigrid said...

I have some of the same issues because I am loath to "waste" fabric even if it something I bought at a garage sale that has been sitting in my stash for 5 years. Jessica's suggestion is excellent. maybe we should have a "leftovers" swap so that we can get out of the stale bread sewing mode.

Scruffybadger said...

Ha ha, absolutely echoes some of my issues & thoughts! My plans I know can be broken - I get sidelined too eaily. And sewing cake/ stale bread? Is dull unless it's red !! Get sewing some bright plain clothes (obv that are in your colour palette) & then all your patterns & florals will match. I can no longer bring myself to count brown, or beige as being part of my colour palette - even though they suit me - & then it's muc easier fabric shopping - to avoid stale bread in the first place. Obviously this comes after many mistakes!

Debi said...

ohhh..you've hit the nail on the head. I've just been thinking about my fabric stash in the same way!!!

jessica said...

Hey Roo ---

Yes, I was totally being serious about the rose print :-). Actually I was thinking I might not have stash that you'd like, but there IS a consignment store down the street that sells some beautiful silk scarves that might be more up your alley?

Let's chat ;-) ... snowmanscraps // gmail