Sunday, July 01, 2012

FO: My Renfrew Skew Top

Oh hello there!
Do you like my new earrings?  I bought them from the shop at the Centre for Contemporary Arts in Glasgow here.
Birds, yes.  Cute, aren't they?

Pardon? Oh... you want to talk about my new tee shirt instead?
Yes, I like it too.  It's the Renfrew pattern from Sewaholic, don't you know?
Yes, I made it myself - you'd never know would you?
What?
You want me turn around?
Why?

Yes, as I was saying, I made it myself.  I actually cut it out on Friday evening even though I had a migraine coming on and I had that funny aura thing messing up my vision - do you ever get that?  Anyway, it's amazing I got it cut out without any problems, even though it was way past bedtime and I was desperate for a painkiller and to go to sleep...
What?
It's what?  Squint you say?
Skewed?!
WTF?!?!

But... but all the stripes match perfectly down the side seams!

And anyway...asymmetry is all the rage this year, darling!


And anyway, you're forgetting that I live in Aberdeenshire where the sun don't shine (very often)!

Ha!  I have the perfect solution...


It covers up the VPL in the Portfolio pants too!
Sigh.

Stats:
Pattern:  Renfrew top by Sewaholic, size 2.
Fabric:  1 metre "cotton" striped jersey from Mandors in Glasgow for £9.99.  It is a knitted stripe, so there was absolutely nothing that could possibly go wrong in matching it up...
I almost melted the first seam when I pressed it - so it isn't quite as "cotton" as I thought.
The indigo stripes are tougher than the grey marl ones, which made for an interesting sewing experience:  new needle required at the outset. 
Despite that, I love the colour and it is wonderfully soft.

Verdict?:

Dash and tarnation!
So near and yet so far...

16 comments:

Kirsty said...

It looks fine! With or without the cardi!! Would it be bad to say that I am a bit happy to see that I'm not the only one who has done this.. the last time I thought I could 'fix' it and cut the bottom off - of course things didn't go to plan and the top got shorter and shorter until it was nothing but a mid drift - and completely unwearable.

Kestrel said...

It looks great, really. And the striping quirk just adds personality.

blue hands said...

Can't see the problem myself. But then T shirts always look a bit skewed on me because of the one breast-larger-than-the-other dilemma and anyway T shirt fabric never sits quite straight. I'm impressed. And I hope the migraine's better x

Penny said...

I'm with everyone else - looks Fab-u-lous!
Penny

Gail said...

Me too! Love it!

lizzi said...

..and me.......:-)

sylkotwist2006 said...

No one will notice that!! It's great and I like the earrings too!

Sigrid said...

Oh yeah, I get those too and I have sent some really silly e-mails while thinking I was powering through them. Hell, I can write stupid emails in any state. But I have never tried to cut something out, because I am able to make mistakes while fully functional. Overall, it looks fine. Maybe you could try to cut out the neckline and redo it with a wider binding to make up for fabric lost?

starryfishathome said...

It's lovely, and no one who isn't a sewist will notice. Especially with a cardi on top!

Scruffybadger said...

I think the toP as a whole looks fab on you - great fit, nice neckline too. And like everyone else, does it really matter? It must be the fabric at fault ;-)

christinelaennec said...

I had to look three times to see what you were talking about. Only other sewists would ever notice, and even then not guaranteed. I know that's probably no comfort. I think it looks great and you should be very proud of yourself! Especially since you sewed it while migrained.

Franca said...

you know, I can't even see it now I know! It looks great!

jessica said...

I dunno, I don't think most people would notice! They'd totally sell this as is in a retail store, because come on, you matched the stripes at the sides, the fit is lovely, and the color combination is really pretty. And oftentimes knits get a little scrunched up anyways, so seriously if somebody is paying enough attention to see it, they are staring way too closely at you!

didyoumakethat said...

The top looks brilliant on you. It really suits your figure. Oh, who cares about the style statement going on round back. Please make more!

juicyknits said...

As far as I'm concerned - this is perfect!

Melizza said...

The Renfrew looks great on you! And the asymmetry rocks, I think :)