Sunday, July 29, 2012

FO: Roo's New Loo


TA DA!
The Boy and His Girl have been hard at work over the past couple of weeks, bringing fun and sunshine to the upstairs loo.
This was probably the most depressing room in the farmhouse and I avoided it as much as possible.  It tended only to be used by the kids, as it is near their bedrooms and has a rather dramatic floor-flooding flush if you forget to put the lid down before you pull the chain (yes, really - it is an overhead cistern).


The makeover began with with the stripping of three layers of wallpaper:  1970's, 1960's and 1950's.  I wish I had got there in time to see the 1960's as the tiny scraps I saw were of a psychedelic turquoise and yellow paisley sunflower pattern :D

They stuck up a roll of thick white lining paper (£4.99) while I thought about my colourscheme.  I prefer to use eco-friendly paint, but I was still prevaricating when my decorators ran out of paste and I found myself in Homebase looking at the Reduced Items counter...

So I presented them with an anonymous "matchpot" of Dulux matt paint for £2.49 in this rather lovely light sea green / blue, and a larger tin of Dulux Bathroom (mould resistant) paint which had been mixed specially for another customer and they hadn't like the colour:  "Easter Morn", for £9.

The yellow is really rather scary, but it's fit for purpose on the sometimes-damp wall.

 Portrait of the artist, seashell-encrusted mirror and perky prawn.


I gave them a free rein on the artwork.  I vaguely suggested a beach theme, and The Boy's eyes lit up:  "Whales?"

He has been reading Moby Dick for the past two years. Every time he comes home he starts at the beginning again, but has never yet reached the end.  It has become a tradition.

And then the project grew...

Listen, if you were an art student stranded in the middle of nowhere for three weeks of summer rain, with nothing but your paint palette and an intermittent internet connection, what would YOU do?!

Oh yeah... read Moby Dick!

I joked with them that they could get a job decorating children's playrooms... but actually I think there might be a market for their work. Although perhaps they would have to leave out the steampunk octopus in case the kiddies had nightmares!


... and this is what it looked like before.  Peeling Laura Ashley wallpaper in a fetching shade of beige, circa 1976, broken frog toilet roll holder (it used to croak when you pulled the roll, but the inner spindle is long gone).  Dark, dreary and dirty-looking no matter how often it was cleaned.

Total cost of makeover:

Materials:  £18

Labour:  One trip to Balmedie beach to gather further materials, including portion of chips between two (£2.90);
two cinema tickets, popcorn and train fares on day off (£20);
celebratory Indian takeaway meal for everyone at the end of the project (price not known - FL paid!)

Heritage value:  Priceless.

17 comments:

Katy47p said...

It is beautiful, very talented artists. I like that you bravely added a before picture, I see why it was your least favorite room.

Evie Jones said...

You got a bargain!!! Absolutely fabulous and they could definitely get more work doing this.

Rachel-Lou said...

Love it! especially the turtles

Lynne said...

It's fabulous!!! I love the colours, and the creatures and shell mirror are brilliant. :)

Joan said...

What a makeover-- fanfreakin'tabulous!

agirlinwinter said...

That is so cool! What a talented son you have :-)

christinelaennec said...

Wow that is so great! I'd say they could definitely have a future in bespoke painting/decorating. And the transformation is wonderful. I really like the shell mirror. Good for them.

jessica said...

That is SPECTACULAR. I would be thrilled to loo in there (yes, I realize that word is not a verb). There seriously could be a market for this kind of thing. In 10 years when I am reading about them in magazines as an up and coming design team, I will tell everybody I know that they were first spotted here, on Roobeedoo ;-).

Tanit-Isis said...

Ok, that is so intensely awesome! And a major, major improvement.

All your bathroom needs is the toilet seat my husband's grandmother found somewhere---made entirey of transparent blue resin embedded with shells (real) and seahorses and dolphins (plastic) in a happy seaside scene... (Ok, in all seriousness, your progeny's art is way cooler than Nana's kitschy toilet seat... but they both make me smile.)

:D

Scruffybadger said...

Awesome! The sea creatures' colour and character are so cool, and I love the colours of the room now. So I'm guessing you'll be scooting up there more yourself now just to gaze .. and I agree you need the toilet seat like tanit isis suggests!!

Carrie said...

Wow that is stunning, you have a very talented boy :)

lizzi said...

The bathroom is great - but what is even nicer is that you gave them free rein and trusted them to do the job - what a great confidence booster.

Annie @ knitsofacto said...

It's fabulous, truly! They do know that people pay a fortune for work like this?! Taking on a few commissions might help with the uni costs.

Colleen said...

How lucky you are to have such wonderful artwork on your bathroom! What a fabulous job they did -- definitely the work of artists!

Roobeedoo said...

Thank you, on behalf of The Boy and His Girl :)

Cazz said...

The octopus is definitely my favourite, although the turtles are a close second. Very cool.

Sandy said...

More than a little impressed with the talent!! And the colors are so cheerful as to make one want to use it even on a rainy day!! I'm in agreement about the toilet seat - I think you can order them online... might be a fun Christmas present (??). Anyhow, glad you have before and after photos for the portfolio!