Sunday, July 22, 2012

With a Scoop of Oh My!

I don't like ice cream.  I know that probably makes me very weird indeed, but it is just too ... cold and... creamy.  So I think I must be really ill.  I ate a mini tub of Ben and Jerry's Oh My! Apple Pie.  Whisper:  and I liked it!
The Big Kids are at the cinema.  FL has gone to Braemar with the golfers for their final fling, or should that be swing?  I just watched the dvd of One Day while knitting a sleeve of Shalder and eating ice cream.  I do hope I can pull myself together in time for work in the morning!


Yesterday I was all set to start work on my red drill suspender skirt, when the postie delivered 3 metres of cobalt blue waterproofed wool which I had only ordered the day before via Eebaay.  Waterproofed wool?  Yup!  Can you imagine anything more appropriate for this Scottish summer?

So I ditched the skirt for probably the fourth weekend in a row and pulled out my vintage (1970's) Betsey Johnson coat pattern.  It is a teen size 7, which is for a teeny tiny 31 inch bust.  I re-drafted the bust to be larger and lower and after some fiddley maths and measuring, I reckon I can get away with taking smaller seam allowances everywhere else.


I am making the above-knee-length version of the coat, with self-ties at the back and without the furry collar (sorry!).  I need to order some funky lining and I have half a mind to pipe the collar.  I already have some rather special buttons ear-marked for this project.

But I am not sure I have the energy for much more today.  I might just carry on knitting.
I have knitted up to the armholes of the body and am working on the first sleeve.  I have to say I am liking the Rowan All Seasons Cotton far more than I expected.  It is quite light in weight, but produces a nice firm drapey fabric. 


In reading news, I gave up on Girl Reading and Mrs Robinson's Disgrace  on the grounds that I didn't need my nose rubbed in the herstory of downtrodden women right now.  They are both probably very good books, but I am not in the mood.  So my bedside companion is The Cookbook Collector (second reading) and my sofa reading is Atonement, which I was surprised to find in a box upstairs. I dug it out to give to The Girl (it is on her A-level English reading list) but decided I would read it first.  I never did see the film - maybe I should?  But I also have a pressing appointment with Capital, which is due back at the library next weekend and is as yet unopened.  So what am I doing sitting here blogging?  Tsk!



15 comments:

sylkotwist2006 said...

Oh you really must see Atonement, I absolutely love that film, but read the book first! Unlike One Day where the book is better than the film (as is usually the case), with Atonement, both were brillant . I'm rambling, sorry, love the coat, is the weather THAT bad!

Annie @ knitsofacto said...

A dissenting voice ... I really loathed Atonement, book and film, and gave up on both before the end, twice over for the film. I just didn't believe in it, no suspension of disbelief at all for me!

Loving the waterproof wool though!

Feel better dear Roo ... it has to be bad if you're eating apple flavoured ice cream!

Lynne said...

I do like the blue wool fabric, and the coat pattern is lovely. Good luck with it, and I hope you're feeling better soon! :)

Anna said...

I have an All Seasons Cotton jumper I made years back and I love it. It is warm in winter and not too warm in the English summer and it washes really well. I'd love to buy some more but it's so damn expensive, wish I'd stocked up when it was cheaper!

Sandy said...

At-One-Ment... not sure if I liked the film after all... but it was an interesting delivery. I am reading Stephanie Bonners (?) series on the Jane Austen murder puzzles. Great diversionary stuff and very like Austen's style.

Sounds like you are starting to come up and out from under the weather!

Sandy said...

It was Barron... not Bonners... Jane and His Lordship's Legacy (Jane Austen Mysteries) is the one I'm on now.

Kat said...

Mmm apple pie flavoured ice cream? Yummy! I wasn't keen on the film of One Day, I liked the book much more. I wasn't convinced by the casting of Anne Hathaway as Emma which probably was the main reason! I liked the film Atonement, but the book is still in my 'to read' pile so can't comment on that just yet. Oh and waterproof wool? Genius!

Twelfthknit said...

We were flying to the US in January and at a certain part of 'One Day'...you can probably guess which...I shrieked and leapt back in my seat. i think it is fair to say that my fellow passengers were very, very unhappy.

Evie Jones said...

I must say that for someone who is feeling less than chipper you're being mighty productive. Don't worry about not really liking ice cream...I eat enough for the two of us!

Kirsty said...

I've never heard of waterproof wool - what a fantastic invention. The coat is going to be great.. but I am hanging out to see that suspender skirt as well! No pressure!

Judith said...

I love icecream, but not when it has bits and pieces folded through it!!! Plain and smooth is the go for me...
The blue wool fabric is just gorgeous - looking forward to seeing it finished...

✿ Judith
made by J

Gail said...

This coat is going to be so cool, you might need more ice cream!

Harriet said...

The only reason to watch Atonement is for Keira Knightly's dress....otherwise it is not worth it! I need that dress...and an occasion to wear it!

Scruffybadger said...

Oh my....that coat is going to be heavenly roo...awesome colour and waterproofed wool?! I'm impressed you started so quickly, I've 2 coat fabrics watching me and saying,(both together) you should start me now because it'll be too late when you need me"....sewing for winter in July just meets inner resistance!
Anyway, I loved atonement, having watched the film first I then went to book. Possibly that's the best way to avoid disappointment, but the dress is amazing....

Linda C said...

I am wondering if I( missed something. I tried to read Atonement several times and never could get involved enough to push past the part I bogged down in. (unintentional pun).

I do LOVE the color blue of your wool and can hardly wait to see the coat. The red skirt is going to be amazing too.

LindaC