Monday, August 06, 2012

Kelly Skirt Pattern Alert: Must Have!

You've seen it haven't you?  The new Megan Nielsen skirt pattern, Kelly?

But have you seen Four Square Walls' test-sews?


"IncredILBY flattering" : )

Seriously, these are the skirts of my dreams.  I love button-fronts but the Colette Beignet is the wrong shape for me:  it's neither straight nor A-line and I know I would struggle to make it fit my flat-bottomed, straight-up-and-down frame without looking like I was wearing my mother's hand-me-downs.

I have a vintage (1970) pattern that I was on the point of trying out, but I had the nagging suspicion it was too insubstantial and plain - I wanted a little bit of swish.

Kelly?  You've got the high waist that I love / need, combined with side pockets and look - best of all! - those neat little pleats either side of the button band.  So you get skirt width without bulk over the tummy.

I'm thinking:   linen, denim, chambray, cord, tweed, madly-printed cotton, suiting, broderie, polka dots, checks, stripes, lace, velvet...

I am feeling quite feverish!  How long does shipping take from Australia?


12 comments:

Kirsty said...

Those test sews have convinced me. I wasn't sure before now. August is button month for me, so this skirt would be a good one!

agirlinwinter said...

Oooh I hadn't seen this pattern, thanks for sharing. I look forward to your version. I'd love to try this for myself but I worry it wouldn't fit over my enormous hips.

shivani said...

I'm sorely tempted too! but I think I've enough on my plate for now (and it looks similar to the Wiksten Tulip, which I hope to revisit in wool for winter). A polka dot... you must do one in a polka dot!!!

sewbusylizzy said...

I wasn't tempted under I saw Four Square Walls! Really gorgeous and versatile. And finally an advantage to living in Australia hooray!!!

Marie said...

I agree, this pattern looks like a must-have! I am hopeful that the A-line shape will flatter my body, like you I had reservations about the Beignet, so never wet for it. The Kelly skirt has the potential to be made up in so many fabrics too...I want it now!!!

dottiedoodle said...

Thanks for the recommendation - I like!

Scruffybadger said...

I too saw four square walls' versions...lovely. You can get Megan Nielsen from a uk supplier...can't remember which, but I know even from oz it'll be with you within the week ( cos I succumbed to the darling ranges!! ;). )

Lynne said...

I hadn't seen the test sews. Oh boy, this is a nice skirt. I love the pleats at the back. I am sorely tempted. And it's available from www.thevillagehaberdashery.co.uk - just sayin... ;)

Alison said...

I am also very tempted, I have the Banksia pattern even the packet is beautiful...

Alison
x

Kestrel said...

Ooh, I think this may be another pattern to add to my 'must buy' list. I look forward to seeing more of them popping up online for further inspiration.

Katy said...

I'm really tempted by this. Unfortunately I already have the Beignet and the Wiksten skirt so I'm trying to resist! This will be lovely for you. I would wait for a UK site to stock it first though!

Suzy G said...

I have to say the high waist won it for me. Already ordered from Australia so looking forward to sew it up.