Monday, October 15, 2012

Sewing, knitting, but no sign of a good title


I can't think of a witty title, so this is what you're getting.

After pulling myself together with the Caravan Curtain top (thanks to Jane for that midget gem of wit!), I set to work on my side-fastening Kelly skirt in wool tweed.

It was looking fabulous until I tried it on.


I looked as if I was ready to give birth to triplet baby mammoths.
No of course there are no pictures!  What kind of a fool do you think I am?!

WARNING:  If you want to line your Kelly skirt, do so with care, and try it on before you commit yourself.  I was so near the finish line when I discovered the awful truth that I am afraid I threw a wobbly and sliced into my lining with the scissors in a fit of:   "I'll fix you good and proper!  Take that!"... Uh huh. Good decision, Roo?

Edited to add:  I sound like a psychopath!  It was more along the lines of "Hmmm... this hasn't worked.  What would happen if I reduced the bulk at the front... oh damn I've already sewn the lining in place, what shall I do?  I know - I will cut a wedge shape out of it and see it that helps..."  Is that better?  Please come back!  I've put the scissors away now!

So this week I will be repairing the damage to the lining, sewing on the buttons, and hemming the lovely thing.  Because, actually, it is going to be a really lovely skirt, which is why I was so frustrated to look and feel so huge in it.  But I admit the scissor-attack was inexcusable.

Oh - and that settles it - I will NOT be making a Kelly skirt out of chunky cord!  All those buttonholes?  All those layers of lumpy fabric at the waist?  NO.  My mustard fabric will be diverted to making another Ginger skirt, or possibly some winter shorts. 

In knitting news, I have finished the first sock of my October Sock Knitters Anonymous pair.  It is the Stripes Alive Pattern and it is the business. Look at that heel! : )


Finally, if you are looking for some lovely hand-knitted-looking woollies, you need to check out Seasalt.
If they weren't so darned expensive I would be snapping up these three garments immediately.  Pure lambswool!
Their ethics look quite strong too...

£89 - just like the Aidez pattern without all that knitting!

£85 - OK it's "just" a simple aran cardi


£99 - oh come on, I would never have the patience to knit this!
Gorgeous, aren't they?
It's just as well I don't buy clothes.

7 comments:

serendipturas said...

I have been coveting the Seasalt Thimble cardigan, and am in the process of knitting my own version. I'm beginning to think I may actually Have Issues with fairisle...

Donna said...

I love the colors on those socks!

Gail said...

I'm so glad the skirt wasn't ruined. The fabric is gorgeous!

RooKnits said...

Keep an eye out for the Seasalt sale - love their stuff and have had some good "bargains" before.

sylkotwist said...

The demise of the lining probably saved your mustard cord from being cut to the kelly, so it's worth the moment of madness!
Seasalt is too tempting isn't it. I have just bought a topknot mac and it's lovely quality (naughty but nice!).

Joan said...

Re lack of witty title: content trumps form in my book!

LinB said...

Title, schmeitle. Ditto first lines ... remember Bulwer-Lytton, after all. (San Jose State College used to host a yearly Bulwer-Lytton competition, and publish the results.) You'll get good, hard wear out of your new skirt. Go thou forth and whip up a somewhat-less-bulky mustard cord, forthwith!