Saturday, December 08, 2012

More Mitts in December

On the needles:  Pike's Mitts for The Boy.
I treated him (OK, myself!) to a skein of Brooklyn Tweed Shelter, the yarn for which this pattern was written by the wonderful Jared Flood.  This is the Button Jar colourway.
I try to use British wool wherever possible, but I was intrigued by Brooklyn Tweed.  I thought it might be like Rowan Scottish Tweed, but it is actually much much softer.  It has an almost soapy quality, which gives it a very muted, matte appearance.  Understated, you might say.  Highly suitable for man-centric knitwear.
Knitting these is Cable Boot Camp.  I have never before been asked to deploy two cable needles at the same time!  It didn't help that there was an error in the chart code on that wide left hand cable.  I didn't understand what was going wrong at first, so the first big twist is faulty.  Shrugs.
T3Bp and T3Fp are opposites of each other and the chart code has them the wrong way round.  Once I learned to read the chart without referring to the code, I saw what was wrong.  The chart itself is correct. 
If you fancy knitting these yourself, they are a whole lot of fun.  No sarcasm intended!  I am viewing them as a training project before I set to work with my Japanese knitting book.
 I finished my Lotus Eater Mitts.  A doddle in comparison, even though my colourwork is a bit dodgy.  I tried to be consistent with my stranding, but there are a few awkward vertical strands, where I failed to weave in the spare yarn for the stripes.  I trust the recipient not to turn them inside out and gasp with horror, even though she is a knitter!
Today is has snowed and it has rained.  I didn't make it to the office on Thursday or Friday.  After FL had my winter tyres fitted, my car's electrical system went crazy.  The dashboard is a blaze of fairy-warning-lights and my headlights aren't working.  This happened two years ago under the same circumstances, so the jury is out on whether it is due to FL's driving or the cold weather.  Either way, I am now reliant on him for lifts until we get it fixed (Tuesday).
I am effectively housebound with a pile of knitting and library books.
It could be worse!

11 comments:

Donna said...

I hope the car situation gets better soon, but in the meantime, enjoy the knitting and reading!

Mary in TN said...

Oh Roo! So sorry to hear about your poor car. I don't know what I'd do without my wheels, but maybe that's a typical American reaction :) We need our cars, it seems. The Lotus Eater mitts look wonderful and the Jared Flood yarn scrumptious. That button jar colorway is so pretty. I have not tried that yarn yet but just might now. I keep hoping my LYS will stock Rowan and other UK yarns someday because they are so interesting. I love the way they knit up. Today we are awaiting the severe weather (thunderstorms) forecast for this afternoon. A good time to knit, and we need the rain.

Gail said...

I'm in love with those green mitts! Also jealous - I've been wanting to try out Shelter, but I'm way too cheap!

A weekend stranded with knitting and books sounds just lovely to me!

Lynne said...

I love the green mittens, the yarn looks gorgeous and the cables are beautiful.

Punkmik said...

that green is beautiful! thanks for sharing! very inspirational knitting!

Ambermoggie, a fragrant soul said...

Oh I love the purple mitts, they would go well with the lovely shawl you made. Hope the electrics on car get started soon

Sigrid said...

I love a good snow day like that!

Unknown said...

Your mitts are lovely....am curious why the designer named them so..am reading the book, The Lotus Eaters, now and can't see a linkage...ah well, maybe none intended.....CCK

Scruffybadger said...

Wonderful knitting, I do like the sound of that green yarn and like you say, very manly too. I'm enjoying your relaxed positivity about your kind of home siege....and I too think I would be looking forward to all that sewing/ knitting time also....

shivani said...

ooo those cabled mitts are going to be wonderful! One of my current projects uses Shelter - so pretty, but my skein was very twiggy! hope the car situation is better. I have a free day off work today because of a power cut! hoorah for unexpected sewing/knitting time!

Annie @ knitsofacto said...

Your mitts are lovely. Sadly my relationship with Shelter was not as fortuitous ... the darn stuff kept breaking. How did you find it to actually work with?