Wednesday, December 05, 2012

Snow Business

 So here we are in Winter.
The snow is here and shows no sign of leaving.
FL managed to get my car out to the main road for me yesterday morning  and by the time I reached town, the streets were clear and I felt like a real bumpkin in my wellies and heavy coat.  However, when I drove home at 5, I was stranded at the foot of the hill.  My winter tyres were still in the boot of my car, rather than on the wheels, so of no use whatsoever!
This morning, there was no possibility of my car going anywhere, so FL drove me into work in his.  The rural roads were difficult enough, with snow drifts and no grit, but today the city streets were gridlocked by jack-knifed "bendy-buses", lorries stuck halfway up hills and assorted accidents.  It took us 2 hours to get to my office, by which time it was snowing again.

FL spent the morning writing his book in the library and then we headed back home on empty roads at lunchtime.
It is Dexy day and there was no way I wanted to be a passenger in his car driving through the dark in icy conditions.
So I am working from home.  FL has taken my car to have its tyres changed while the daylight holds and now that the snow-plough has been through.  Tomorrow we perform another Risk Assessment.  One day at a time.  I may have to take a Knitting Day - what a pity that isn't an official category of Special Leave!

16 comments:

shivani said...

but at least it looks pretty! when it snows around here (v central london), everything is just grey and nasty.

Sarahel said...

Great idea for a leave category, and much better for health than the stress of driving in those circumstances. And your pictures really lift the spirits - just beautiful.

agirlinwinter said...

I am very envious that you have snow, we hardly get it down here. However, I appreciate it's not much fun when you have to get about in such inclement weather. Keep safe!

Kestrel said...

What beautiful pictures. Hope you can enjoy the gorgeous views despite the snow-related upset.

Marie said...

Wow, what stunning scenery...but totally impractical for work purposes! I'm totally with you on 'Knitting Days' - they should definitely be 'a thing'!

soisewedthis said...

Wow, it that really where you live, because it's gorgeous!!

Gail said...

Sounds scary! But I do love seeing pictures of your rural idyll, and the snow makes it look especially magical.

Lucy said...

Total PITA, but that last picture especially is stunning!

Mary in TN said...

Lovely snow pics. I am surprised they did not call a "snow day" if buses and the like were jack-knifing. That's what they'd do here because of the hills in our town. Good knitting weather indeed.

MrsAlex said...

Like my rural remoteness, looks beautiful, total pain to actually do anything practical. Stay inside, knit and enjoy the view!

Donna said...

Beautiful snow! We had some slush fall from the sky today, but that was all...

acharmofmagpies said...

Wow, how beautiful. I live in a city that doesn't snow. Although last year we had a freak snow storm (first time in 75 years or so) and some of our higher suburbs looked like this, but my beach front sea level suburb got just a smattering of snow. Was all very exciting being so far out of the ordinary. Mostly we just get rain and wind. Lots and lots of wind. I hope you do get your Knitting Day, woolies seem very necessary!!

Btw, I'm giving away some patterns of Dubious Desirability. It's quite possible, and justifiable, that you've already looked and backed away quietly without making eye contact, but I did think of you for the culottes and skirts pattern, so feel free to come over and enter.

Enjoy Knitting Day!

Unknown said...

I am always thinking of you and FL and wish you strength.

and thank you for the snowy picture of "my" special friend, Bennachie.

Miss that.

Unknown said...

I have no idea, Ruth, why I come up "unknown". It is I, CCK....

Lynne said...

Oh, you have my sympathies. Snow looks gorgeous in the photos, but that's about it!

Seraphinalina said...

I know snow can grind life to a halt and cause so many problems but oh, it is so pretty. Maybe it's the little kid in me, but I like a snow day. Our winter was really warm last year. I didn't have any work from home snow days, no snow shoeing, no pretty views and sun reflected off of a white landscape. I'm okay if we get a little snow this winter.