Saturday, December 29, 2012

That In-Between Time of Year

 Yesterday was our fifth wedding anniversary.  FL insisted on (a) wearing his kilt and (b) keeping it on all day even though his knees must have been freezing.  I have no words.
Equally stubborn, I have kept on knitting an Acorn Mitt (from Issue 15 of Knit Now magazine) even though my Zauberball is not striping quickly enough and it just looks as if I got the cuff dirty.

And there is blatantly a bare patch where an acorn ought to be.  This is what comes of following the instruction "keeping acorns pattern correct..." either side of the thumb gusset.  Would it have killed them to print the whole chart?  I suppose it would have taken up too much space.  Slapping on the grading "Advanced Knitter" is just a trick to make me feel stoopid when I can't get it right.  I expect I will be ripping it back later today.  Herrumph.

 

But look what arrived in the post to cheer me up in my incompetence?  A bar of exciting chocolate all the way from New Zealand! And a copy of the pattern I failed to win in Joy's giveaway?  Far too kind.  Seriously.  Bloggers are the best. 
And now I feel guilty for not showing you other things that have arrived from blog-pals in recent months - but you know who you are and I hope you are feeling all warm and glowing inside because yes, I am talking about YOU! :D
And when I come to use the fabric, the patterns, I won't forget where they came from.
While I am showing my incoming post...
I keep neglecting to blog about my Skein Queen Club yarn.
The November skein is called "Fairy Hoax" and the colour was inspired by the novel The Unseen by Katherine Webb.  I am just about to start reading the book, which I reserved from the library.  I'm not sure what I will knit from the yarn - it looks like it wants to be a delicate shawl.  It has intriguing dollops of Donegal tweediness through it, which makes me think of insects trapped in a spider's web.  In a good way.
This is the December yarn, which arrived this morning.  Look at those colours!  Absolutely gorgeous, merino and silk.  Again I am thinking something shawl-like, but perhaps cabley and oblong... more of a stole?  Definitely inspiring.  I'm so glad I signed up for this club again.

You can tell I'm a bit drifty can't you?  The Boy went home to University yesterday and The Girl goes back to London tomorrow.  We've had a lovely quiet time of it, but I am starting to feel the need to get going on some major project or another.  It's been good thinking time.

10 comments:

beate said...

congratulations to the 5th wedding anniversary!
lovely to celebrate it by wearing a kilt :-)
and this pale yarn is really beautiful.......

blue hands said...

Happy anniversary! It's our 40th tomorrow and we've always found it an odd time of year to try to celebrate, stuck between two major festivals.
The skein queen yarns look lovely. I've had a couple of hers in the past. I might look into her yarn club - such a treat to get something unplanned for in the post!

christinelaennec said...

Many congratulations on your anniversary! Your husband certainly has the legs for a kilt, why not show them off all day? Sorry about the missing acorn.

I'm glad you're having some good thinking time. Those skeins look very inspiring.

Adele said...

Happy Anniversary! How exciting! I think the gloves look lovely so persevere! Whittakers chocolate is simply the best!! Enjoy!

Big Alice said...

Happy Anniversary to you!

Lynne said...

Congratulations on your anniversary, FL rocks for wearing his kilt all day! I see what you mean about the Acorn Mitt, that would annoy me too. It's just lazy pattern writting in my opinion. And "The Unseen" is great, I read it earlier in the year when my sister leant me it.

Judith said...

Congrat's on the anniversary - those knees must have been very chilly! But his lower half does look good in a kilt.
As for the missing acorn, I am afraid that it has well and truly fallen off the tree! Time for a bit of patience and a quick undo...

starryfishathome said...

Congratulations on your anniversary, FL has fine legs for a kilt. Love the coordinated socks as well. Those mittens will look great ( I'm afraid I would rip back as well), when they're done.

MrsAlex said...

Happy anniversary and congratulations to FL on the celebratory kilt wearing. We had quite a few men in kilts at our wedding and they do look very dashing!

acharmofmagpies said...

Oh congratulations on your anniversary! What a romantic FL is. The skein queen yarns are beautiful and I can't wait to see them made up! Good luck with the acorn and I hope the chocolate has since been enjoyed :)