Thursday, December 06, 2012

We Interrupt This Post...

...to bring you POST!
Yay - I got mail!
The problem with being snowed in, is that the postman gets snowed out.
And in the weeks approaching Christmas, that is more than a little nerve-wracking.
But today, as I was sitting at the kitchen table working on a report about smelly toilets and round-bottomed sinks (my life is nothing if not glamorous), there was a rattle at the door. The dog erupted, and who should I find on the doorstep but the Royal Mail-man.
He must be new!  He had left his van at the end of the track and hiked over the snow-laden hill with our post.  They never do that!  Usually I find my mail days later, unceremoniously tied to the wheelie bin with an elastic band.  This informal arrangement does not always work, as you can imagine and I was quite worried, knowing that my Japanese knitting book was on its way.
But here it is!  SO exciting!
 That gorgeous jumper with the cabling and fair-isle yoke has beading on it too!  Imagine!

 I mean, seriously, how hard can it be?!  Um....

The postie also brought me a lovely surprise birthday present from The Girl:  Tim Gunn's book Gunn's Golden Rules, and a cruelty-free eyeliner pencil - woo hoo!  I wasn't expecting it, which makes it even more special :)  Thank you, Girl!

AND... and he brought me a blog giveaway win, which I would really love to show you, but I can't because I am giving it to The Girl for Christmas - hee hee hee!  Are you reading this, my dear?  You'll just have to wait and see! ; )  But it's very fab and I have explained to the giver why I can't sing her praises just yet.


I hope to get back into the office tomorrow.  My car now has its snow tyres fitted, after FL sat in the garage queue for 3 hours on my behalf.  It must be love!


I'll close with a picture of last night's knitting progress.  Another Christmas knit nears completion.  These are the Lotus Eater Mitts from Issue 3 of Knit Now.  I used the leftover yarn from my Liquorice Twist Gloves.  I'm really impressed that I was able to knit two pairs of hand-wear from just 3 balls of this yarn.  And it is "permanently moth-proof" too!

Right, back to the urinals...

10 comments:

Gail said...

Oh that book looks gorgeous! I'm a little jealous!

Anna said...

Ever since you posted the photo of that jumper I've been dreaming about it, it's gorgeous. I hope you make it! No one else seems to be making it on Ravelry (or at least no one's added the pattern yet) and there aren't as many patterns as I'd hoped there'd be for cable and fair isle yoked jumpers!

Also quite jealous of your snowy surroundings *ducks*

beate said...

hope you have the postman offered a gingerbread or some brandy.....
have fun knitting this beautiful sweater!
we are snowed in too. now i go waxing my skies.....

acharmofmagpies said...

Yay for new, wonderful mailmen! How good of him and how wonderful for you. I'm looking forward to seeing your fair isle jumper. And those mitts are gorgeous!

Sandy said...

Good to know that some people still made the effort to do a little more than is expected of them... stay warm! Just finished reading "Cold Granite" by Stuart MacBride... set in Aberdeen. I learned a lot about the weather from this book! It is a bit of a grisly tale, but you might fall in love with the winsome detective.

Mary in TN said...

Hooray for mailmen (and women)! The sweater pattern looks interesting, and the mitts are fab. Always nice to be able to use up stash too. No snow here in the mountains of Tennessee yet...

Scruffybadger said...

Gorgeous gorgeous !! How wonderful to put beads with those wonderful colours and patterns....I shall admire from afar - too advanced for me considering I have already ripped out twice the first weekend hat I'm trying to get knitted for Xmas. I have to say that I am a little bit jealous that you're cocooned in your cottage with snow all around., but realise it's mainly interrupting normal life for you.

Donna said...

I love mail :) Those are some beautiful new patterns to dream over.

LinB said...

"... working on a report about smelly toilets and round-bottomed sinks ..." " Right, back to the urinals ..." My God, woman, what do you do for a living? I'm sure it is something to do with bettering the lot of the deserving poor (and/or the undeserving poor, all of whom will apparently be with us always) as you have such a tender, generous heart.

SuviL said...

I just wanted to tell you that I got your book already on Tuesday. The patterns are so beautiful and something new, too. Today my colleague helped me with some mysterious symbols, still some gaps.
Anyway, thank you very much!