Wednesday, January 09, 2013

FO: Acorn Mitts, or The Power of the Carrot

 

There's nothing like a bit of self-bribery to get me motivated.

I finished my Acorn Mitts last weekend, but decided not to blog about them until my prize arrived!  I rewarded myself for this altruistic knit with a beautiful new notebook and some stickers.  Yes, I am a big kid.  You knew this already.

I want to try writing again.  Obviously I have the blog, but I want to try to get back into the habit of playing with the written word.  Pen and paper is my chosen medium.  I spend my day at a computer so the last thing I want to do in my spare time is continue to type.  This notebook was a bit more expensive than I planned to spend on a "reward", but I think it is worth it.  Even its title is inspiring:  "Un Recueil d'Essais".  Why, yes it is in French, for extra romantic intrigue and pose-value :S  It means:  "A Volume of Essays".  You never know, it might even encourage me to improve my language skills.

The stickers were just irresistible.  If you love stationery as much as me, get yourself over to the Magic Notebook shop and be prepared to swoon.  Those little flowers and butterflies are washi tape (free) samples - so pretty!

The Acorns were knitted from two Zauberballs - leftovers from the Transatlantic shawl I made The Boy for Christmas 2011.  The pattern was from a back issue (15) of Knit Now magazine.  See my Ravelry page here.

The Acorns had barely had their ends darned in when I cast on another two altruistic projects!

The first is a super-quick aran-weight headband:  Spirograph.  I thought I had enough Blackstone Tweed leftover from my Pom Pom It hat, but forgot that I had used a lot of yardage to make the actual Pom Pom.  So I had to stop knitting just seven repeats into the pattern.  I have ordered another skein.  This is not exactly stash-busting behaviour, but it seemed a shame to abandon the project or mess it up by trying to do something stripey with other leftovers.  No pictures yet...

My second new project is a pair of Glasgow School Mitts.  These have a deadline attached.  So much for pre-planning!  It is a lovely pattern but the 2.25mm needles and twisted rib are aggravating my back-to-work RSI.  I am trying to pace myself.  I should still have enough time...

I am using Fyberspates Sparkle in Blackcurrant, leftover from my Veyla Mitts project (Christmas 2011).  It is a merino / silk / nylon mix with 2% sterling silver - oooh! It has great stitch definition, is pretty soft, and has added twinkley pizzazz from the silver.  I refuse to consider the possibility that I might not have enough yarn.  It will be fine.  Won't it?

Oh... and this is what I wore to work today:  my latest Airelle with the Mustard cord skirt, ethical-attempt cardigan and the beautiful shawl I received for Christmas.  Yes, this look breaks every single New Year's Resolution:  muddy shoes (not shown), no jacket and fuzzy hair. What can I say?  I think I need to work up to it.  Maybe I need to find a reward scheme for looking smarter at work!

16 comments:

Miriana said...

But the colours you've put together in your work outfit are lovely.

Mary in TN said...

I love the work outfit! The gold colors in each piece work magnificently together. No need for a jacket with this particular look--everything looks pulled together just as it is. I am searching my Knit Now back issues for the acorn mitts. We've rain forecast in East Tennessee for the next several days so the time might be right for some mitts. Maybe in gold and brown.

shivani said...

lovely outfit. and thanks for the link to the magic notebook - I've been looking for a decent diary for weeks, and now I've found the perfect one! :)

MrsAlex said...

Work outfit looks super-chic, no need for a jacket at all!

agirlinwinter said...

Thank for the link to the Magic Notebook. I'm a stationery geek and I will be swooning over that website for hours. I like your work outfit, the colours are lovely.

Kate Price said...

Have you tried tucking the top in (and adding a belt to the skirt)? Then you are still wearing the clothes you want, but maybe in a more pulled together way?

My theme for the year is "Enjoy what you have" and this extends to wearing the nice clothes to work - and accessorising and taking care of my nice shoes. Then I am still wearing "me" clothes, but hopefully in a more work appropriate way.

Berlinswhimsy said...

Love your clothes and I was taken aback by your aim to start connecting with the written word--- that was one of my New Year's resolutions. I miss pen to paper and I so seldom get the opportunity. Good luck with your new notebook and form of expression.

Donna said...

Beautiful mittens! I am a sucker for all things paper and stickers and such so (for now) I am avoiding that lovely site that you mentioned. I need to use what I already have! ;)

Sarahel said...

LOVE the outfit.

Kestrel said...

Love that outfit with the mustard tones - very you and surely good for work.

Sew little time said...

i love the outfit - i was going to suggest tucking the shirt in too, or maybe a belt? i'm not a tucker-inner but it does look smarter with a loose top.

i love those glasgow school mitts - gorgeous rib pattern - really reminds me to glasgow art school!

Scruffybadger said...

I do love your style....and shawl collection!! And carry on telling us when you reward yourself and how....it might rub off on lots of other people like me who tend to only make for others in November/ December to be more organised and feel super virtuous. I've found that I'm making lots more handwritten lists this month, in turquoise ink-pen ink. I think it's a backlash to so much computing and keyboard stuff and sadly acknowledging that my memory is not as reliable.........but it feels so much more creative than biro...

tales from a handmade home said...

Fab outfit, love the colours on you.........I love the handwritten word too, although I'll need lots of practise, my writing's atrocious.

Love your blog.

jessica said...

Ah ... first off, I love those mits! I love how they have this 'matching but not' vibe going on (you know I can't resist that) Also, the written word! There's something so tactile and involved about putting pen to paper, I find it helps me think things through that typing cannot accomplish, and with a lovely notebook like that, well, who wouldn't feel inspired?

Katy (Ioftheneedle) said...

I was obsessed with stationary when I was little. I think I could jump right back off that wagon with the Magic Notebook shop. Lovely stuff

acharmofmagpies said...

Ooohhh, stationery... it is so beautiful isn't it? I have lots of friends who obsess over stationery and none of us know why.

I like the combination you put together - when you posted the Airelle I immediately thought of your newly received shawl. This looks great as it is - but if you wanted to strike that middle ground I think a blazer would also look amazing with it!