Thursday, January 24, 2013

Knitting for Others with Smelly Socks

Altruistic knitting continues apace!  I have finished my Glasgow School Mitts - woo hoo! However, as these are a "swap" knit, I can't reward myself for knitting them as I will be getting something in return anyway :)

Next in the gift-knit line (and eligible for self-bribery!) is the Spirograph headband (pictured far below), which stalled when I ran out of yarn.  There was a further hiccup when the shop sent me the wrong shade of grey.  I decided to keep the mistaken ball to knit yet another gifty hat:  Edda by Lisa Mutch.  Very hipster-looking! The mistake ball is the same shade of grey (though not the same brand) as the pattern.  This is already well underway - there's not much to it, really.
Edda - photo by Juju Vail
And as if I needed another hat project, Anne Hanson (Knitspot) has just published a fab slouchy beanie pattern, Stromming.  Just right for The Boy!  And I have some lovely MCN DK in the stash which will be perfect for it.

Stromming - photo by Knitspot, LLC
So that's my next three altruistic knits sorted.  And I have already purchased my reward: three bars of handmade soap from Future Primitive.  In case you think I shouldn't have bought them until I finished the knitting, can I just point out that I am not allowed to unwrap and inhale until each item is complete?! 

I discovered this handmade soap company just before Christmas, and I popped a sample bar in with several hand-knitted presents.  Do you store smelly soap in your sock / lingerie drawers?  I do!  And I had run out because I needed to actually use the soap.  I only kept one Christmas sample for "me" and it is already in action by the kitchen sink:  "Candlemaker" is a quite medicinal-smelling blend of essential oils, which is perfect for garlicky / fishy fingers.

For my reward soaps I chose the following:

Lemonade Lounger: "Sweet, tangy lemons and lemon leaves soaked in a Vanilla bean broth with a hint of garden soil"  This one has May Chang essential oil in it - the "happy scent", which I love.

The Voodoo You Do:  "Oodles and Oodles of Tea Roses with a scattering of Chocolate-coated Honeycomb surrounded by whisps of smouldering amber resin and lovers incense."  Mmmmm.

and
7 Sins:  "Banana cake infused with Ginger, topped with Vanilla Frosting and drizzled with melted Dark Chocolate. Toasted Madagascan Vanilla bean with a dribble of Honey and finished with a scattering of Hot Buttered Popcorn." Just yummy!

The last two are Valentine's Day specials, so will only be available for a limited time.
No, I'm afraid you can't eat them... though they are vegan :)

12 comments:

sulkycat said...

OOOhhh Future Primitive are one of my faves - try Rook and Raven, it's lovely. Love the mitts!

Twelfthknit said...

oh dear, I can tell that some of this is going to be winging its way to me very soon.

Donna said...

They certainly sound (smell ;) ) delicious!

daisydonut said...

Those Glasgow School Mitts are to die for. Gorgeous colour and pattern - I'm afraid I would be unable to hand them over as a swap.

Am off to peruse Future Primitive's site now, as the soaps sound divine.

Because you leave lovely comments on my blog, I’ve awarded you the Premio award today. I’ve linked to your blog in the post https://daisydonut.wordpress.com/2013/01/23/premio/ and do hope you don’t mind.

Sew little time said...

beautiful mitts. your swapee is very lucky - hope you get something equally lovely back! those soaps sound gorgeous - must check them out!

LinB said...

I keep little bars of soap in any drawer or box or closet with woolen anything. I also throw one into my boxes of paper sewing patterns, to discourage silverfish and other paper-eating insects. (They'll come after the glue on the envelopes and on the cardboard boxes I store the patterns in, if I don't add some scented soap. Just as effective as mothballs, and far more pleasant for ME to smell than camphor.)

Mary in TN said...

Luv the mitts. Beautiful color. I am sure the recipient will be very happy. Love anything by Anne Hanson too. I think her lace patterns are awesome. Have not thought of using soap to keep out bugs but might give it try. Thanks for the tip.

Anonymous said...

Great hat line-up!

I too put bars of soap in the linen cupboard and clothing drawers, but hadn't thought of using them to discourage paper-eating bugs, as LinB suggests. A welcome tip!

-- stashdragon

Sabs said...

Have you tried making soap yourself? I've made it a few times now, it's really easy and very satisfying, especially choosing your own scents and colours. And surprisingly it really isn't that expensive to make quite a few bars. I use olive oil mainly. You can add herbs etc to make it smell and look prettier too. I think it might be time to make some more! Like the mitts btw.

Scruffybadger said...

Great reminder about being organised with gift making. I'm in a lull, a bit tired, but waiting for some fabric to arrive and haven't sewn anything since the weekend!! Unheard of!! If I had thought of it I could have made a small gift....therefore if fabric does not arrive today, then that's what I'll do! Love your hat plans though. I wonder if my boys would wear hand knits....they do live in manchester which is 'up north' and therefore cold. The soaps also sound such a good idea on so many counts....I look forward to grabbing some samples and storing them ( and constantly sniffing) in the ways suggested.

Cazz said...

Love the mittens. Gorgeous colour.
I was inspired by your post about making gifts ahead. I've done one fox scarf and working on number 2 :o)

acharmofmagpies said...

Oh those purple mitts are fabulous! Love them! The soaps sound lovely too. I don't use fancy soap but you've just inspired me to consider making scented pouches.