Saturday, January 19, 2013

No Jacket, a cardigan, a change of plan

Herein lies the next thrilling installment in the saga of Roo's Smart Jacket.
To recap:  Toast Size 10 was too big, so I returned it at great expense by First Class post on 5 January.  On Thursday, I realised I had neither received the smaller size in exchange, nor a notification that the returned item had reached the warehouse.  So I emailed them.  Within an hour or so they had rung me to process a refund to my account:  in the intervening period, the jacket had sold out in the smaller size.  SOB!  Lesson learned:  next time I should order multiple sizes to keep my options open, or re-order on the web straight away instead of waiting for a postal exchange to be processed.  I lost £12 in postage costs.  Grump.
No jacket.
Lucky I didn't plan an entire wardrobe round it, eh?  Humph.

Meantime... I bought a cardigan.  It's from Seasalt.  I liked it when I first saw it at full price, so I was pleased to get 33 % off in the sale.  It is pure lambswool.  It is very warm and soft and snuggly.  I could live in it.  I probably will.  Have you seen the snow out there?  Exactly.

Despite my ethical vetting of Seasalt's website, this cardigan (like the other one) is labelled "Made in China".  Obviously it must have been at the only ethical factory in the entire continent, or Seasalt would never have had the garment manufactured there, would they?  Would they?  Humour me.  I have to believe.

So... my sewing plan is upside down again.  Maybe I will start with a dress and take it from there.

My dear blog pal Jessica surprised me this week with an emergency care package containing 3 patterns, a piece of immensely-practical wool and a magnificent magenta Marimekko remnant from her recent make.  The spontaneous kindness of blog pals takes my breath away.  See that dress pattern?  It must be made!  I love that bow-trimmed collar!  And I haven't even used the fabric she sent me last year (and which I haven't blogged about because clearly I am an ungrateful cow)!

New resolutions:  (1) do not hesitate to say a public "thank you".  (2) Do not hesitate to use incoming wonders, or you will surely bury them in the stash.

 Speaking of which...
My Girl Charlee order arrived - woo hoo!

Those sparrows are already on the cutting room floor :)

13 comments:

meadowyarn said...

Boo re the Toast jacket - it was a nice one! I had a simialr experience last week with a rather nice pair of wool trousers… did they refund your original £4.95 P&P? They didn't refund mine until I gently pointed out that under distance selling regs they are legal obliged to if I returned the item within 7 days of receipt. The £4.95 appeared remarkably quickly after I sent that email!!!

Lucy said...

What a shame.

However, it must be complete magic that this blog post arrived just as I was stopping by to drop off a link for you that I discovered... http://www.ravelry.com/discuss/patterns/1524519/

(PS. Same Lucy, new blog!)

Kestrel said...

What a shame about the jacket but that cardigan looks so cosy and definitely perfect for the weather just now

sylkotwist said...

Love the cardigan, I bet you get lots wear from it Roo.
I love Toast clothes but they've let me down once too often. I wish they had better customer care, how can Boden and Howies do it but not Toast? Oh and can I have your sparrow fabric pleeeaaase?!

Stevie said...

Thats too bad about the jacket! :( How was the postage for Girl Charlee? I've been so tempted but I know its pretty crippling usually.

Gail said...

Gah! The sparrow fabric! I have a piece of it too, and can't decide what to make from it! Dying to see what yours turns into :-)

Judith said...

Ahh! Lesson learnt from the order. But the cardi is such a lovely colour and sounds soooo snuggly warm. And 'sparrows on the floor' - can't wait to see what are you whipping up with them ...J

bloglessanna said...

I'm loving the look of those sparrows. What will be it? The suspense...

sylkotwist said...

Have you seen this jacket?
http://shop.saltwater.net/product/1071/S5N03_Wool_Lady_Jacket_
May not be for you but made in UK x

Valeria said...

Yep, I'm sitting here in the Seasalt cardi I bought in the John Lewis sale last year and mine is made in China too. I'm not sure which part of China is represented on the swing ticket with the picture of the lighthouse etc, you know, the one that looks a little bit like it might be Cornwall ...

Anonymous said...

Hi Roo,

You have inspired me so. Just received my copy of Learn to Knit, Love to Knit. I will be learning to knit and I'm so excited!! I love your style inspirations too!

Toni in chilly but beautiful
Portland, Oregon USA

Tamsin said...

shame about your jacket. I have been looking at some fabric from girl charlee. Having not bought fabric online before iI was wondering how the quality of the fabric was, and also the postage costs?

acharmofmagpies said...

Such a shame about your jacket. But don't give up, the perfect corporate-does-Roo wardrobe items are just waiting for you!