Saturday, February 16, 2013

FO: Silver in my Porridge Drafting Top

 Could it be that I am waking up at last?
That my hibernation is over?
I thought I would break my sewing fast with some oatmeal jersey.
 Yes, it's another Drafting Top.  Woo hoo!
Jill Aiko Yee sent me this fabric to test.
She was wondering if people would be interested in buying this or other similar high-quality jerseys from her Etsy shop.  What do you think?  It would cost 21 US dollars plus postage for 3 yards.

This is the best picture I could get of the colour.  It is a light beige marled jersey with regular narrow subtle stripes of silver which sparkle in the light.  It looks just as good on the wrong side as on the right.  In fact, I wish I had used it the other way out for extra texture.  Ah well!  Next time!

As you can see, it is wonderfully drapey. 

And you can tell from this picture that it is semi-sheer - see how it catches the sun?
 

I probably used about 2 yards to make this top.  I am thinking of making some slinky lingerie with some of what's left.  It would make a gorgeous camisole / knicker set!

Stats:
Pattern:  The Drafting Top from Jill Aiko Yee of ItTerations Workwear.
Fabric:  About two yards of silver / beige stripe jersey, to be priced at $21 for 3 yards  in Jill's Etsy shop if there is enough interest.
Other:  66cm of silvery beige fold over elastic found on ebay for about £1 for 2 metres.

Verdict:
Yay!  I got my sewing groove back!
But you know what?  I really really need to make myself a narrow stretchy tube skirt to wear with these drapey tops.  My jeans have an unfortunate bulge where they sag at the front.  The term "budgie smuggler" springs to mind.  I am all for an androgynous style, but this is going too far!

18 comments:

Donna said...

That is a great style and color on you! I'm glad the sun is finally back :)

christinelaennec said...

That is a beautiful top! I disagree with you about the jeans not looking good, but if you're really bothered, you could always go around with your hands up in the air. (Or make a skirt.)

House of Pinheiro said...

I love this top... X

Caffy Bundy said...

You look great Roo!

Lynne said...

It looks great! The fabric is lovely, and I do like the neck edging.

Helen said...

Lovely top and I would definitely buy that jersey if it came in other colours (that colour would look terrible on me, but I wish I suited it as much as you do).

Gail said...

Ooooh, silver stripes! Pretty! This is such a great style on you, and I think it looks fine with the jeans. Or maybe get yourself some skinnies!

Stevie said...

I love that top and I would be into buying that jersey,
I nominated you for the Leibster award! Thanks for being inspiring!
beebeesvintagedress.blogspot.com

Lucy said...

Awww, that jersey is lovely and looks fab as a Drafting Top. But I do not have the money to be buying fabric from America, alas, and I suspect that it also falls into the category of colours that I really like but do nothing for me to wear.

shivani said...

absolutely wonderful - I love it. It's a great style on you - and I agree with Gail - get yourself some skinnies!

Felicity from Down Under said...

That is beautiful fabric and doesn't the colour do all sorts of wonderful things for you? But about the budgie smugglers? No, I'm sorry, not even close. jeans could never be considered sufficiently revealing to be budgie smugglers. I say this with some authority as it is, after all, an Aussie expression. :)

Stephanie said...

Beautiful top, I love how chic and casual it looks with jeans.

Mary in TN said...

Looks great. And goes well with the jeans.

Twelfthknit said...

Those are lovely photos of you :0)

Sølvi said...

I love it! It´s a great color for you too, and to team it wit h a tube skirt sounds genius! :-)

Scruffybadger said...

I might be repeating everyone else...but the colours look fab on you, and it is very springlike ...woohoo!!
The drafting top strikes again and is a winner

Linda C said...

Beautiful top. The color looks so good on you. I don't think that it would look very good on me (the oatmeal color) but I would be interested in buying other colors.

LindaC

Mela R. said...

What everyone else said: gorgeous colors and look on you. I really really love this top on you. It's quite flattering.