Monday, March 04, 2013

Neist Point


I have said it before, but it takes a holiday for me to notice the changes in FL's health. 
We trundle along, day to day, getting on with the things that have to be done, and we pretend that everything is fine.
But here we are, on a much-anticipated holiday, and he is just not up to it.  I am doing all the dog-walking on my own.  He has slept through most daylight hours, waking only to cough or take pills. 


We drove out to Neist Point, the most westerly point of Skye.
It was all I could do to persuade him to get out of the car just to have a look at the view.
This is the old abandoned winch, which would have lowered the lighthouse-keeper's provisions down to the foot of the cliff.

Until today, I would have expected him to want to explore, to follow the footpath down to the lower level to see the lighthouse itself.
But this was just not possible.  He was so unsteady on his feet, he returned to the car almost immediately and closed his eyes.

 This is Moonen Bay.
 "Strictly No Dogs On  Hill"
So after a fortifying pint in a Portree pub (him, not me), we returned to the cottage, and Hero and I took to the hills on foot.
As you can see, the locals ganged up on us...
I wish I could show you the expression on Hero's face when he met this crowd of bullies!  I think "hang-dog" sums it up well!
Back at the cottage, this holiday has turned into a knitter's retreat.  I have been working on my sock and my blanket, and watching knitting video-casts on the laptop.
And thinking a lot.

17 comments:

Cherie said...

I've not left a comment before, but want to bless you on this journey.

By the by, I love your creations! I also hope to see Skye sometime, have been to England twice and loved it!

Cherie

Kate said...

I know that kind of tired. Thinking of you both x

didyoumakethat said...

I hope you're okay, Roo. Hope you're enjoying your knitting retreat, however unexpected this twist is, and that the thinking time is proving good and constructive. And that FL is getting all the sleep he needs...

Scruffybadger said...

Me too, hoping you're ok and that FL is getting something out of this change in scenery, even if its a different kind of holiday from usual. And you? Contemplation and knitting and walking somewhere so peaceful I hope is providing you some kind of recharge. Xx

northernknitter said...

Hope you are also getting some rest in the midst of this change in your life. Sending love, peace and strength to you & FL on the snowy wind today.

lizzi said...

Bless you both - a change is as good as a rest - as my ma used to say.

Toni Ladd said...

Dear Roo and FL,

Wishing you peace in this lovely place. May you find comfort and enjoy your knitting. I admire your creations so much. God Bless you both.

Toni in OR

Mary in TN said...

Roo and FL,

Hoping this holiday recharges you both. The scenery is beautiful and I hope you both find it restful. Sending hugs to both of you from cold east Tennessee (where we are expecting yet another storm).

christinelaennec said...

This morning I was feeling sorry for myself after a night of nursing my husband through stomach flu, and your post has put our problems into proper perspective. I hope you can find some moments of contentment together on this holiday, and that those can be what you are thinking about as much as anything else. Big hug.

Sew little time said...

thinking of you Roo. hope you are both able to enjoy the holiday, even if it's not quite what you anticipated.

Myrna said...

Hugs - it's tough. I'm glad you're recharging your batteries with knitting and walks. That's so important.

LinB said...

Be brave. Be at peace. Loving thoughts are with you both (and with the dog).

Ambermoggie, a fragrant soul said...

Oh Roo, my thoughts are with you both. May you enjoy the break together even if it isn't as energetic as it may have been. Being together I know can still be enjoyable without having to go places do things. Much love sent your way and strength xx

Cate said...

Sending best wishes to you both, and a pat to Hero. It looks beautiful there. I hope you're able to get the break you all need. x

Mary said...

I try to think that every day we both wake up it must be a great day. In reality, some days just suck. This cancer drains the energy out of both of us at times unfortunately. One foot in front of the other, tomorrow is a new day.

Sadie said...

Sorry to hear that FL is doing badly. I hope that you at least manage to enjoy a quiet week together in peaceful surroundings.

acharmofmagpies said...

Wishing you both peace and calm on this getaway. It looks like beautiful surroundings to be together in.