Sunday, March 24, 2013

Springy cast-ons

I am having a casting-on splurge in penance for  to celebrate buying yarn last weekend.  There's a new pair of Rachel Coopey socks on the needles:  two sets of dpns have been deployed.

At the second attempt, I even made sure that both sets were the same size...!  I can now confirm that 2.25mm is my preferred size and not the 2.5mm I assumed.  That quarter of a millimetre was the difference between neat stitches and baggy ones, and I am so glad I spotted the error only four rows in to sock cuff 2!
These are in the Echeveria pattern, which starts off with a twisted rib, meanders into lace, celebrates colourwork around the ankles, and then returns back the way it came - fab! The yarn is Lorna's Laces from the Socktopus sock club way back when.  This is my third attempt at a pair of socks in this yarn.  Hopefully it will work out this time.

I also intend to cast on for Talia, a knee-high colourwork extravaganza.  The wool for these is Yarn Yard Marchmont in the colours:  Beetroot, Blueberry Juice and Lavender.  The Lavender was my Small Skein Society delivery for February.  The base is a lovely "round"  superwash merino.  I have slight concerns about my colour combination - it is so hard to tell when you buy yarn online, however good the pictures.  Even in daylight, I am unsure.  I will just have to start knitting and see what happens!
Last but not least, I am yearning for a shawl / scarf in this gorgeous springy yellow/ green from Skein Queen.  I have been saving this yarn for the right occasion - and I think that time is now, it being SPRING, allegedly.  Which pattern?  Hmmm...  maybe Zigzag Wanderer?

S'watch this space!

Thanks for all the suggestions on what to do with my 70's smock.  I do like the print, so I may try to rescue it.

Right... knitting!


9 comments:

Sadie said...

Pretty! I have been inspired by your Betulas and am about to cast on a pair for myself in a lovely spring variegated green. Maybe if we all knit enough things in spring colours the weather will get the message?

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lorna A said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lorna A said...

I love your colour combo, it reminds me of fruits of the forest. Mmmmmmmm x

Fiona said...

Left a comment on Edinburgh yarn festival blog.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful color for your new Betula socks. Zigzag Wanderer looks like a good choice for the spring-green yarn, too.

I'm glad you've decided to rework the blouse. Don't give up on a fabric you like so much!
-- stashdragon

Lynne said...

Your socks look great, I love the pattern and the colour. Also, I think the colour combination for Talia is beautiful.

Mary in TN said...

Love the color combination for Talia. And that spring green-yellow would make a great Zigzag Wanderer. Have cast on for socks using several stash skeins this weekend too. One is using Plymouth Happy Feet and the other is a Christmas colorway of Jarbogarn Mini Raggi, which is a new yarn to me. I had previously tried several patterns with the Happy Feet and wish you the best on the blue socks this go around. Glad you will try to save the beautiful blouse too.

acharmofmagpies said...

So much pretty! The blue of those socks is pretty much my favourite colour ever and the pattern looks wonderful. And those beautiful plums and purples are exquisite.