Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Sunshine and Blue Skies

What do you do when the sky is grey and the ground is grey?
Knit up the brightest colours in your stash!

This is what I did on Sunday:

Please excuse the dusty stove!

The Betty tea cosy pattern by Ann Kingstone came in a "Best of the Web" leaflet within Knit Now Issue 16.  It is also available as a single pattern download or as part of an e-book on Ravelry.

I was smitten by this pattern's wonderful textures in a single sheepy colour, but decided to use my two recent handspun acquisitions to knit up a stripey version as a gift.  The beautiful turquoise yarn was spun from Old Maiden Aunt fibres by CouthyQuine, a member of the Yarn Yard group on Ravelry and another Aberdeenshire resident - hello Susan!  The Easter-chick yellow shetland wool was spun by Janet Mitchell on the isle of Skye.  A truly Scottish project!

It was a compulsive piece of knitting.  I really enjoyed watching the stripes, the ripples and the cables developing and playing off one another.  I would like to knit it again in a single colour - it was such fun!


On Monday, a business trip to Edinburgh provided plenty of  good quality knitting time on the train.
Another turquoise yarn!

These are my Echeveria socks, a free pattern by Rachel Coopey for the Sock Knitters Anonymous group.
The colourwork section echoes the shapes within the lace - very clever!

Knitting them both at the same time, step by step, it feels like I am knitting twice as fast as usual.  I know it is just an illusion, but it is certainly keeping me motivated.

And sticking to the colour theme... say goodbye to my honey-colored vintage cardigan.  By the time you read this, it will be unravelled and that lovely Albayarn will be back in the stash.  Just because a pattern is old, it is not necessarily good,  a lesson I have learned all too well from my sewing exploits!


9 comments:

Mary in TN said...

Love the Scottish tea cozy and great start to the Echevarria socks! Two at a time is awesome. Nice honey gold yarn. Too bad the sweater needed to be frogged but those things happen from time to time. It's such lovely yarn that I know another pattern that is perfect for the yarn will come your way soon.

beate grigutsch said...

uii! :-)
this tea pot cozy thingy is sooo cute!
and this socks going to be awesome.......
because i´m not a knitter i will paint some eggshells today and hang them in the snowy-gray garden.
(and stoves look like this if used :-) )

Kestrel said...

Those socks are gorgeous!

ashley0107 said...

Ooh, I am in love with that teapot cosy!! I really want to make a cosy, but we don't have a proper teapot. We have a couple of two-cup infuser teapots though, maybe I could work something out. . .
The yellow yarn is such a pretty colour! Frogging is sometimes the best option :)

Helen said...

Those socks are beautiful. Love the colour!

LinB said...

Happy knitting! Happy Easter! I've been assigned to make several dozens of deviled eggs for the family get-together on Sunday, so I'll have to set aside my handwork for the joys of a steamy kitchen, this weekend.

christinelaennec said...

Your tea cosy is just perfect for spring, and the socks are amazing! Too bad about the vintage sweater, but if it isn't working then frogging is the best use of the yarn.

Lynne said...

I love your tea cosy, and the socks are fab. The colours are beautiful.

acharmofmagpies said...

Hehe, that tea cosy is just made of crazy happy! The socks are looking great too, your knitting productivity is amazing!