Saturday, April 13, 2013

Knitting Lettuce and other Yarny Delights

No knitted FO for you this weekend, but I have been motoring away on a new shawl-ette, using the spring green Skein Queen yarn which I mentioned  recently.  It is the Artio Shawlette from the latest issue of Knit Now magazine.
Knitted lettuce

It is a very easy pattern if you know how to work short rows and are good at counting.  It is a stinker if you can't count / are feeling a bit tired.  I have approximately 50 gazillion stitchmarkers on the needles (including several paperclips and safety pins when I ran out of the real thing) and still had to count every stitch on every row at least once, sometimes twice, to know when to wrap and turn.  Good golly, Miss Molly, was I glad to see the end of those short rows!
earlier in the week...
I was loving the look of the reverse until I picked up my wraps - now it looks a bit scruffy on the back... and nobody wants a scruffy backside ; )
It is also somewhat petite... and I have loads of yarn left.
I will be blocking it severely and will maybe make matching wristwarmers.

In spite of these petty reservations, I love the sharp zesty colour and the softness and the crisp columns of yo's - lacey without being too girly.  The yarn is delicious:  80% merino, 10% cashmere and 10% nylon. 

I cast on for the Talia socks (in Yarn Yard Marchmont)... and that's all I have done so far.  Suddenly the thought of knee-high fair-isle has lost its appeal.  I might set this aside and start a man-sock for FL's birthday (in June).

I like to have a sock on the needles at all times, and we have a waiting room experience to look forward to on Tuesday.  I am undecided on pattern or yarn.  FL prefers a longer sock and his favourites are the earliest ones I knitted in Sunbeam St Ives yarn.  That yarn is no longer available, but I believe that it has been replaced by Wendy Roam - ah ha!  It's fairly cheap and comes in manly heathered and ombre-stripe-type colours.  Perhaps it's time to invest in a couple of balls to try it out, in the interests of research.

Pattern?  I am tempted to go for an old-fashioned textured sock, maybe from Knitting Vintage Socks - maybe the Railway Stitch?  The project photos for that book have improved a lot since last I looked - I could get really inspired by some of the samples now on display, especially the ones in unusual variegated yarns.  I have always felt I needed to be quite pedestrian when using a vintage pattern, out of some sort of loyalty to the past - silly, really!

Browsing Ravelry, I see I have also queued the Railway Blues sock, which is very simple and plain.  Maybe too plain to keep me interested? Oh... and of course there is John Huston, Tarnished Hero by Rachel Coopey.  Ah ha!  A manly Coopey sock - perfect!  I can see which way this decision is heading!

Have you seen that Rachel has a book of sock patterns coming out soon?  I am seriously excited about that - and yes I have pre-ordered my copy!

Let me leave with you with recent incoming stash.  Because I know you like to see all the pretty things!

First up:  the most recent Skein Queen club yarn.  OMG this is one of the most beautiful yarns I have ever seen!  So lovely I am scared to use it!  Those colours?  The silkiness?  The sheen?  Wow! 
It is laceweight and I have 600 yards - what to do?
I know... I'll keep it beside me on the sofa and pet it like a kitten : )


And from my other club, the Yarn Yard's  Small Skein Society, comes a very unusual plump and cushy sock-ish yarn in the colour Blood Orange.  It reminds me of my mother's mandarin cheesecake.  Yum!  I am thinking of making myself some little ankle socks with contrasting heels and toes.  If the contrast was a luscious brown, they could be mandarin dipped-chocolate cheesecake socks...? 
The latest installment of the club arrived today but I had better not show you yet as others will still be waiting for their deliveries - just to say it is very very.... ha!  Not telling!
Right - back to my sewing machine...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

The yarns and projects (prospective and actual) all look gorgeous. I'd like a pair of Talias myself - must get on that sometime this summer. In my climate, socks are a good summer knitting choice: nothing warm and heavy overflowing one's lap!
-- stashdragon

Kestrel said...

That Skein Queen yarn is gorgeous. I'd definitely enjoy looking at it for a while before knitting with it too.

Franca said...

ooh, that skein queen one! Divine!

Mary in TN said...

Love the SQ yarn! Ooh, I like the Railway Blues, but the John Huston is also appealing. Railway Blues looks simple enough to take on public transit or carpooling. And the Wendy Roam looks delightful. Wonder if anyone in the USA carries it.

LinB said...

Have you ever done a sock with top of foot in one color and bottom in another? You could do the sole of the Blood Orange sock in a dark brown. Work the cuff of the sock as per usual. Divide stitches in half, and work back-and-forth on them up to the length needed before you start toe decreases. (Slip the first stitch of each row to make picking up stitches easier.) Lots of scope for color and pattern work here! Go back to the other half of the stitches, and work a heel flap. Then pick up along both sides of flap, and go back and forth, picking up stitch from sock top, twist-knit it with first sock on needle, and decreasing one stitch on both sides of foot. Do the pick-up and twist knit trick on other side of sock top, and purl back across. Stop the decreases when you've gotten back to half the total number of sock stitches. Continue up the sole of the sock, picking up one stitch from each side of the sock top, until you've reached the end. Then do your usual in-the-round toe decrease and finish. Not as fast as in-the-round, but you can use up lots of short lengths of yarn; and it's easy to unpick the sole and re-knit it when the inevitable holes happen. (Not my design, I cribbed it from Socks Socks Socks.)

Anonymous said...

I've had very good experience of Wendy Roam. It's pretty sturdy and makes a warm comfortable sock.

acharmofmagpies said...

So many very very pretty yarns, so jealous! But I don't knit fast enough to justify stashing up. Thank goodness for you and vicarious thrills.