Sunday, May 19, 2013

FO: La Jupe Chardon Pasteque

Quelle surprise!  It's another Chardon skirt from the Deer & Doe pattern, this time in watermelon-pink linen.

This fabric has been in my stash since 2004, when I bought it to make a dress for my little girl.  Ha!  Listen to me, all you young mums out there: THEY GROW UP!  I have thought about using this fabric every summer.  Last year it almost became a pair of swishy pleated shorts, but luckily I revised my plans.  I think I will get a lot more wear out of a skirt than shorts.

Stats:
Pattern:  Deer & Doe Jupe Chardon, size 38
Fabric:  Heavy watermelon linen bought from Little Shop of Treasures at ebay in 2004, about £12?
Other:  Michael Miller Peace symbol bias binding from Frumble Fabrics, about £3.50.  Another metre of plain white binding for the centre back seam, about 40p from stash.  Zip and thread bought locally for far too much, but I needed it, so there you go, c'est la vie, shrugs.  Oh - and a "I am half agony half hope" label, naturellement!

Process:
I started making this skirt last Sunday and have been dipping in and out of it across the week.  This was supposed to make me feel like I was making progress, but actually made me feel like I had been sewing it forever!
I took care not to rush this project, and added binding to the centre back seam, to prevent fraying around the zip.  I tried to do a lapped zip from memory, but it's not perfect.  Maybe I need to research  different zip sewing methods as I seem to have lost my touch.  Once again I am grateful to the bow-tie for covering my dodgy zip-sewing!
I used the fancy Michael Miller binding at its full width on the hem, and half-width to bind the lower edge of the waist facing.

Verdict?
Stash-busting of the very best kind!
It feels really good to put this fabric to good use, after lurking in my stash suitcase for so many years.
Yes, it is a strong colour, but I am coming to realise that my happiest me-mades are the confident ones.
I love the swishiness of the Chardon skirt, and though the back bow is dangerously girly, it pleases me.
And best of all, I finally have a bottom half that goes well with my Raindrops on Roses top - yippee!

23 comments:

ravelledsleeve said...

Lovely skirt, and such a nice cheerful colour! I must try a skirt that isn't a basic A-line soon...

Sabs said...

It matches your top beautifully! Very nice and summery!

Miriana said...

Love the whole outfit - very happy colours

azterya said...

I don't know if you looked or are even interested in looking at Craftsy.com, but they have a free mini class on inserting zips.
http://www.craftsy.com/class/mastering-zipper-techniques/178

PS found your blog looking for sources for fold over elastic, hope you don't mind me following you.

Lily M said...

I completely love this make! The colour, and the shape, and that binding! <3

Donna Hensley said...

I love it! And who can argue with happy?!

jessicajyen said...

Lovely! The whole ensemble is quite lovely! Such a cheerful skirt, great pattern choice for the watermelon linen. I imagine you getting lots of wear out of it this summer :-).

I have been eyeing the rose fabric for quite some time now, trying to figure out the right pattern to match it with. This post is a good prod on that front ...

jessicajyen said...

Lovely! The whole ensemble is quite lovely! Such a cheerful skirt, great pattern choice for the watermelon linen. I imagine you getting lots of wear out of it this summer :-).

I have been eyeing the rose fabric for quite some time now, trying to figure out the right pattern to match it with. This post is a good prod on that front ...

Jenni said...

Lovely colour, great skirt :-)

Annie @ knitsofacto said...

Now that really is PINK! Love it :D

opportunityknits said...

Such a pretty skirt, and the linen looks yummy. I am so impressed by your finishing, the inside looks so pretty too!

Alex said...

Love the colour!

verykerryberry said...

Love the swish and the colour- I have just ordered the pattern having seen your other version- I do love a skirt!

Emma said...

I love everything about this skirt! The colour, the shape, the fit and the "peace" binding!
I love the whole ensemble. You look fabulous in it.

The Coffee Lady said...

My mum just gave me some fabric that she had bought to make a dress for me when I was a little girl.

I am 43.

I love the skirt, and the finishing is just stunning.

didyoumakethat said...

LOVE this fabric and this outfit. It's so you! You suit strong colours really well.

Lynne said...

Ooo! This is lovely. I love the colour, and it looks great with the green cardigan.

Gail said...

I absolutely adore this! This color is fantastic on you!

sewstyled said...

Love the deep pink skirt and the green jacket. Fresh, spring like and happy! where are the shoes from
I`m another linen lover. I tried to reassure my mother this weekend, when she said I should wear more practical fibres to work (ie polyester blends)that I do iron all my linen or cotton clothes before I wear them to work-- she knows how I`m not much of a spic and span house keeper and worried it extends to non-ironed/creased wrinkled clothes.

Roobeedoo said...

Shoes are by Fly London - and be warned they come up big!

velosewer said...

It's really pretty.

Scruffybadger said...

Yes, I'm very late coming, but couldn't resist a wow awesome comment. Colour. Pop. Bang. Yum.

acharmofmagpies said...

Oh. Oh wow. Yes, this. I LOVE the skirt and top combination. The skirt is gorgeous, what a beautiful shape on you. And with that top, my heart flutters and demands a watermelon skirt and watermelon and white top RIGHT NOW.