Friday, May 31, 2013

Me Made May: Final Days and Analysis

So here we are already:  the end of May.
What did I wear in the final few days?  Off we go:

 27 May 2013
South Riding 1940's pattern blouse, Betsey Johnson 1970's pattern trousers and (not me-made) Llynfi cardigan

This blouse is special. I took so much care over its making, and the details of the finish that I appreciate it every time I go to put it on. My new cardigan is perfect with it. It is quiet and unassuming.

28 May 2013
 Vicar’s Wife blouse, navy Eva Dress trousers, Audrey in Unst cardigan

This is “old-style Roo”. In previous me-made challenges I have mumbled on about my aspirations towards a vintage look and this outfit pretty much summarises what I was aiming for then. But I have moved on. I like this look, but it feels a bit costume-y. Nowadays, I much prefer the look of this blouse with my mustard Chardon or my dark denim Kelly.

29 May 2013
Red Renfrew, jersey print Kelly skirt, black cotton Japanese pattern jacket, black ankle boots.

This is my only repeat outfit in the whole month and it had improved a lot the second time around.  In the previous iteration (8 May),  I wore flat pumps and a grey shawl and it lacked a vital spark of energy.

30 May 2013
There is no picture. FL and I attended his brother’s funeral.
I wore my rockabilly rose skirt with purple Renfrew, a black Brora sweater which FL gifted me about three birthdays ago, and my silver locket.

31 May 2013
I celebrated the end of MMM in full glowing colour! Violet lace print Renfrew, dark denim Kelly skirt, lime green vintage cardigan, navy ankle boots, with RTW shocking pink coat just in case the weather turned. It did.  (20 C at 8am.... 10C at noon.)
So... what have I learned from Me Made May?
An astonishing amount!


1- See Yourself as Others See You
Taking a photograph every day allowed me to “see” what I wear a lot better than just looking in the mirror.  It led me to rethink my Happiness Rating on several occasions.

COLOUR!
The new layout of Flickr sets out the whole month in one screen and about halfway through May I suddenly recognised what others have been telling me: I really love playing with colour!  Some days, I had to consciously tone myself down. Sobriety has its place. But I realised that wearing strong colours makes me look more confident… which leads to me feeling more confident.

2 - Flat-Foot Floogie
My other discovery this month was that comfortable but stylish footwear has become critical to my state of mind and the Happiness Rating of any given outfit.
My two worst days (8th and 9th of May) involved a pair of dead flat Kickers pumps. I felt like a middle-aged frump as I flip-flopped my way through the day. Repeating one of those outfits later in the month with different footwear made all the difference.
HAPPY FEET!
By far my happiest days included my navy suede ankle boots from White Stuff. They are incredibly comfortable, and yet kinda funky. I am on the lookout for more of the same. I am giving the pumps to a charity shop.

The Stats
In the breakdown of “what I wore”:

While I wore a Renfrew top or similar RTW tee on 18 days out of 31, I recognised the feeling of wearing something “special” when I wore my 1940’s pattern blouses or Senchas.
I wore a Kelly skirt on 8 days (the dark denim version on 4 of those days), a Chardon on 3, a Ginger on 3… and the Rockabilly Rose on another 3 “must try to look normal” days.
I rarely wore trousers to work and rarely wore skirts or dresses at home… but I really enjoyed it when I shook things up a bit and spent a Saturday in my purple Darling Ranges dress and Eco Sneaks (shoes).

Summary
In the end, I think the best thing about Me Made May has been that element of mixing things up.
Trying out new combinations.
Surprising myself!
It is just too easy to reach for the same few items on rotation, but I have proved to myself that I have enough happy me-mades to ring the changes almost every day for a month.
I need to keep it up, to stay out of that rut.  It has been a lot of fun... and fun is something I need in my life.  I bet you do too!  Yes?

8 comments:

Paula said...

Your posts about sewing are very inspiring. I don't have nearly enough me made things yet but I hope to someday.
You wear colour so well too.

ravelledsleeve said...

I've loved seeing your me-made outfits - you do lovely things with colour and while I know you've had concerns about your work outfits looking smart enough from these pictures they look like the perfect balance of smart and fun!

Lorna A said...

Great outfits. Sorry to read about FL's brother.

Gail said...

I really like your concept of "see yourself as others see you" - I find myself starting to like certain lesser-loved items after getting positive feedback from others about them, and I've been thinking about it as being weak-minded :-) Much better to think of it in your way!

I also love it that you reached so far back into your sewing history, wearing garments you made years ago!

beate grigutsch said...

roo - you´re right!
i love wearing colorful clothes to - and it makes me happy - even when i wash and hang them on the clothesline :-)
and shoes are really important, wrong, bad, or uncomfortable shoes ruin any outfit......

Scruffybadger said...

Roo, as always I do love your me made months, and this has been no different. You do inspire me and your love of colour is contagious! It's funny what you say about shoes though, potentially an afterthought after putting the thinking into the me made outfit. Seems they play a part too for you.
And the good thing? Youve confirmed that you want to keep it up, the fun etc, and having done 31 days, they say it takes 6 weeks to create a habit- you're nearly there!

acharmofmagpies said...

A wonderful, colourful, beautiful month. My favourite has to be the watermelon linen skirt with the watermelon rose top and lime cardigan, that colour is so yummy! And as a fan of your May 8 outfit to begin with, I really really love what you did by subbing in the pink scarf. Love it!

Mela R. said...

I love how much you played with textures and colors. Your outfits were so cheerful and fun.