Tuesday, June 18, 2013

FO: The Lonely Tree Shawl

Stats
Pattern:  The Lonely Tree Shawl by Sylvia bo Bilvia, free on Ravelry or in the supplement Best of the Net from Issue 16 of Knit Now magazine
Yarn:  3 x 50g balls of JC Rennie chunky lambswool aran in Bramble colourway, a destash from Christine in part-exchange for a pair of Willowherb socks!

Process:  A quick and easy knit! It only took me 14 days from start to finish, and that included lots of coming and going on other projects.  It would be a great gift-knit.

The pattern is written in a very conversational way with charts, which might not suit everyone.  You definitely need to read the whole thing through before you start.  I reckon it would make a good first lace project, as long as you keep your wits about you. 

I used stitchmarkers between each repeat.  If you do this, you need to remember to move them out of the way when you are knitting-two-together on the stems of the leaves.  I thought I had miscounted my stitches until I realised the need to move the marker on these rows.

I have seen some other knitters complain that there are incomplete leaf motifs at the centre back and side edges... but I don't mind that at all!  On an aran-weight shawl I think it's entirely acceptable.

Verdict:
The yarn is soft and warm.  For a large, aran-weight shawl it is surprisingly light.
The stitch pattern is bold, especially in silhouette, and I love the picot-edge finish.
I expect to wear this as if it was a cardigan.
With a shawl-pin (mine was a gift in a swap package many moons ago, from Carpedyem - thank you again!) it looks quite formal and dressed-up.
But it is equally at home skulking around in the hedge-parsley!


17 comments:

Seraphinalina said...

That has such a lovely lace pattern, it's beautiful. I'm also rather fond of the colour.

Sarah said...

That's a beautiful shawl, Roo! I love the deep colour and that it matches your dress :)

auchenshugglegranny said...

sheese wow...utterly devine

Gail said...

That's just lovely!

Spikeabell said...

skulking around in the hedge-parsley :) Shawl looks great.

Shar said...

What a beautiful shawl - it makes me want to learn to knit. Your photos are just stunning!(like stills from a movie).

Jenni said...

Fabulous shawl, both design and colour! :-)

Jenni said...

Fabulous shawl, both design and colour! :-)

Jenni said...

Fabulous shawl, both design and colour! :-)

Jenni said...

Fabulous shawl, both design and colour! :-)

Kestrel said...

It's a lovely lace pattern. Though I'd be scuppered at having to read the pattern all the way through - I never do and find it difficult to get my head around the instructions unless I am actually doing the thing!
Anyway, I also really like the photos in your blog post too, very romantic and wistful and lovely.

LinB said...

I'm going to try this in a heathery, wool-cotton blend (not so much the cold we suffer from, where I live). Beware the parsley hedge: contact with wet skin and the leaves of wild parsley, then subsequent exposure to sun, can result in a rash that closely resembles poison ivy, but with symptoms that persist for months. Yes, months and months of a burning itchy oozing rash, all over your legs, during high summer; after an innocent ramble along the roadway, wearing short pants, the first year we lived in Wisconsin. Yet wild parsley is perfectly safe to ingest. Hmmm.

ravelledsleeve said...

Oh, that's lovely!

Now pondering - I have a couple of skeins of Knitting Goddess lambswool/silk aran in my stash that might work well for this...

m. said...

Very lovely. The color is so pretty. m.

christinelaennec said...

That is just lovely! I'm so glad you enjoyed the yarn.

Lynne said...

I love everything about this - the colour, the beautiful lace pattern, and your brooch. Happy wearing!

acharmofmagpies said...

I've never heard of aran lace before and love the idea, how wonderful! This looks beautiful, warm, snuggly and decadent. Just lovely.