Friday, July 05, 2013

FO: Chelsea Morning Socks

Woke up, it was a Chelsea Morning and the first thing that I saw, was the sun though yellow curtains and a rainbow on the wall...
 ...and the sun poured in like butterscotch and stuck to all my senses...

Oh, won't you stay, we'll put on the day, and we'll talk in present tenses.

Joni Mitchell, Chelsea Morning


Stats:
Pattern:
Waffle Cream Socks by Anne Hanson (Knitspot), second size (60 stitches)
 
Yarn:
Crown Mountain Farms Sock Hop, a two-ply handspun, hand-dyed superwash merino in the colourway Mellow Yellow.

Other:
2.5mm clover bamboo dpns

Process:
Comfort knitting.  I began these with a thirst for sunlight and warmth.
Every time I picked them up I felt I could almost taste mandarin oranges, marmalade, citrus, hot buttered toast, cheesecake, lemons, honey, a steaming mug of Lady Grey tea.
As the fabric developed, I realised these were going to be depth-of-winter socks: warm, soft, squishy, joyful.
Every row brought new colour variations as the two plies barber-poled orange against yellow, slubby and delightful, occasionally thick and thin.
If I knew how to spin, this is the sort of yarn I would create.
I envy those of you who can transform fibre into yarn, straw into gold.

Verdict?
The description at the front of the pattern uses words like "cosy" and "old-fashioned".
Oh yes, definitely!
These ARE your Grandma's socks.  Waffley, blanketty, hot-water-bottley.
And all the better for it.
If I was to knit this pattern again, I would love to use a red the colour of John Wayne's long johns.
Something kinda sheepy.  Yes, maybe another handspun.
Socks for a drafty farmhouse, a Little House on the Prairie.
In red, they would make a wonderful Christmas gift for someone who needs a woolly hug.

In yellow?  They are the sunrise on the 5th of July.

6 comments:

Emma said...

What a lovely post! Fab socks too.

wendy said...

So you like them then :)) Lovely post to read with my morning cuppa and they are gorgeous socks!

Donna Hensley said...

Perfect song for those socks!

Linda C said...

Socks that yummy color would make me smile during the darkest gloomiest day. I love butterscotch!

LindaC

aviewintomyworld said...

Roo these are amazingly beautiful, what a fabulous colour :-)

acharmofmagpies said...

Ahh, I love it when you write poetry in your posts. Beautiful lyricism, beautiful socks.