Sunday, July 14, 2013

FO: Innocent Crush Top, Simplicity 6238 from 1965

Yesterday was grey and overcast.  Hooray - an excuse to stay indoors and sew!

 Stats:
Pattern:
This is Simplicity 6238 from 1965, in size 12 (32 bust).
I used this pattern a year ago to make my Raindrops on Roses shell top, which I wore to work for the first time earlier this week.  I have always intended to revisit this pattern because it is such a good fit straight from the packet and I love 3/4-length sleeves.

Fabric:
The fabric is Anna Maria Horner "Innocent Crush" voile in the Slow Dance design.  Jessica sent me a 2-panel-sized piece (1.3m) of this beautiful material perhaps a year ago, and I have had it in and out of the stash weekend after weekend since it arrived, trying to decide how best to use it.  I kept coming back to the idea of a top with a tie-neck, and pondered various patterns, mostly sleeveless because I didn't think I had enough for anything more substantial. I was determined to make it work, somehow.
And finally it did!  Hooray!  
 Process:
Those medallions and wiggley stripes have a lot of potential for unfortunate bull's-eye placement! After a lot of fiddling about, I hit upon the plan of cutting the front and back at right angles to the straight grain, the sleeves on the grain, and the scarf on the bias.  This broke up the print rather well and actually allowed me to do some matching at the side seams - amazing!
Instead of a back zip, I sliced the centre front, facing it with a single piece of bias binding cut mid-way through its length and turned to the wrong side.  Instead of neck facings, I used more bias binding for a neater finish.
However, I forgot to notch the neck edge before I stitched it down, and it was quite tricky to get it to lie flat.  Tsk!
Otherwise, it all went smoothly.  I took care to turn under all the raw edges of the inside seams for a better quality of finish.  See?  I can slow down and do things properly when I try!

Verdict?
Summer came back again today, and I felt surprisingly cool and elegant in my new vintage blouse, clattering around the dog kennel in my hard-soled shoes, looking for sufficient shade to take these pictures.
The matching tie / scarf inspired me to try out a Busby Berkeley dancer style - oh how I wish I could wear this outfit to work!
42nd Street, 1933
Aberdeenshire, 2013
But for everyday office wear, I will probably team it with simple trousers or a skirt.
Pity, really!

15 comments:

Sabs said...

Roo, this blouse is beautiful! I love everything about it and you've done wonders with the cutting and placement of the stripes and circles. I LOVE that first photo, you look so 60s chic!

Gail said...

I LOVE this top! I've often eyed that fabric, but was never sure how to use it. It looks amazing in this top! Love how you styled it too :-)

jessica said...

Oooooh! LOVE!!! Love what you've done with the fabric, the way you've positioned it (swoons) and the matching scarf that can be tied 'round the neck. Totally ingenious. Also, the style is great --- those colors! Please do keep wearing color, I love how you mix 'em all together :-).

Donna Hensley said...

It's definitely a great look with the shorts!

Kirsty said...

You are looking super chic in this. Love it. Love it with the scarf.

Judith said...

Print placement is just perfect! Love the outfit - you have a great eye for styling...J

opportunityknits said...

Love the pattern and how you managed to position the medallions in the middle. The removable ribbon tie is s great idea too!

christinelaennec said...

That brings back vivid memories of my mother's own (beautiful) home sewing of ca. 1965. I love how you wore the scarf as a headband as well! That looks like a blouse you can wear to work and feel just a teeny bit (or a lot?) subversive.

verykerryberry said...

Gorgeous pattern placement and I love the cut on this, it flows beautifully on you

kbenco said...

It is a beautiful blouse, the fabric is so pretty and I love the differing print directions, very clever.You look great in the shorts and tights combination, great outfit.

beate grigutsch said...

perfect, perfect, perfect!!!!!
the fabric, the pattern, on you!
even with a simple skirt or trousers it will look very chic...

Joy said...

Really lovely! And a removable scarf tie/headband? Perfect.

Lynne said...

What a fabby top! I love the print on the fabric, and your magenta tights. :)

Scruffybadger said...

Ooh, too yummy for words!! I don't think I'd ever have thought about using this fabric this way, but it is soooo cool! I love the outfit options, and the tie is versatile - nice as a scarf, and love the headscarf too!!

Roisin Muldoon said...

Oh Roo, I absolutely LOVE this blouse and it looks so darling with the shorts! You are ever so stylish and a proper inspiration x