Sunday, July 07, 2013

FO: Shalder Cardigan... Dun Dun Duuun!

So Roo, how long has it taken you to knit this cardigan?
Um... a year.  I started it in July 2012.
And why has it taken you so long?
Well... I kinda went off the colour towards the end and hid it at the bottom of the wardrobe, awaiting inspiration.
I had every intention of dye-ing it black, except...

 It turned out to have other issues!

 Is it because the sleeves are too long?
Or because the fronts are a loopy i-cord bind off... with the emphasis on "loopy"?
Or because the pockets are a saggy mess?
Read on...

Yesterday, I got up and decided to face my demons and finish the darned cardigan-of-doom.
FL and I settled down in the garden, with newspapers and knitting, and I i-corded from dawn to dusk.
I really truly madly deeply did.
There was some choice vocabulary when I realised I had picked up too many stitches at the bottom edge and the i-cord was curling round the ribbing.  I salvaged it by stitching it back on itself on the inside.  If you think I was going to re-do the bind-off after (calculates) 13 hours of work, you can think again!


 Please don't shoot me!  I am an innocent cotton hand-knit!
This morning I sat down to it again and sewed up the sleeve seams (I knitted them flat instead of in the round)...  and I realised how incredibly long they were.  Oh.  Dear. Me.  (Or other words with a similar meaning.)
By this point, I had stopped caring.
Some projects are just doomed.  This is a fact.
But you know what?
It is good enough for farm-wear.
I still love the lacey yoke.
And best of all?
I FINISHED MY SHALDEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!
You may go now.

Stats:
Pattern:  Shalder by The Shetland Trader, Gudrun Johnston
Yarn:  550g of Rowan All Seasons Cotton, an aran-weight, 60% cotton, 40% acrylic.  I bought this from A Girl in Winter in a Ravelry destash.  Thank you Melissa!  The yarn is not to blame!
Needles:  4.5mm Denise interchangeables
Buttons: I finally found the perfect match at Wool For Ewe in Aberdeen.  I used 8.

15 comments:

Gail said...

Oh, bummer! But I'm glad you're not completely disconsolate and will wear it around the farm. And I think it's cute how you have your yarn in the cup holder on your chair - I do the same!

Sherral said...

:) I actually like how it turned out! It has that fun over-sized look to it that is so popular these days. I say wear it with confidence and pride!

Donna Hensley said...

Ahh! I've had some handknits turn out unexpectedly too. It's definitely more disappointing than sewing kerfuffels, just because of the time involved!

MaryinTN said...

I sort of like the way it turned out, and am really glad you were able to move Shalder out of the WIP pile! Looks to be a nice casual sweater for long walks with the dog this fall.

Sarah said...

I like that it's oversized and cozy - perfect for relaxing in cold weather with a hot cup of tea!

Linda C said...

I love it -the color and the look. Roll the sleeves over a few times. Sometimes I like to have a sweater that is too big so I can wear it over several layers - such as a long-sleeved knit top, a long or 3/4 sleeved cord dress, a cardigan, and then a sweater like yours on top. Keeps the damp out. The color is just beautiful!

LindaC

Ruth said...

When I saw your pic in another blog's side bar, I thought, "Another knit! How DOES she do it?" and I was quite jealous. But now I'm not! More or less ALL my knitting is like that, though. I think I'm going to follow your example and knit lots of socks. But I do agree with finishing everything and being glad when it's done. Otherwise, it stops you from starting the next thing, which will be better!

Nicki said...

This is what scares me about a big knitting project, you invest HOURS of time and then you might end up not liking it at all :o( BTW a year is still quite speedy as far as I am concerned. I still have a pair of socks (unfinished) I started about 4 years ago. I got heel-fright!

Amy said...

Don't you just love surprises like that? I have chopped off the bottom of sleeves and knit downward to shorten them. I'm not sure how that would work on a seamed sleeve unless you did a little unsewing...Regardless, it would be a cozy cardi :)

Annie @ knitsofacto said...

I predict that, precisely because you won't think of it as anything other than a throw-on, that you'll get a mahoosive amount of wear from it before eventually consigning it to the dog basket or similar!

Jen said...

I think its lovely !

Susan_in_Peckham said...

Congratulations on completing Shalder, it's a great feeling when that last finishing task is done. I like the colour :)

I recently took a very hard decision relating to a handmade cardi. When I made it I was so excited about it, it looked lovely on the model and the style was super work appropriate. But, once finished and blocked, it just didn't look good on me...it simply wasn't the cardi I needed and wanted. So it sat in a drawer for a year and this February I ripped it out to harvest the wool for an Audrey in Unst. I am so much happier with the end result and now have a cardi that truly will be a staple in my wardrobe come cooler weather.
This was a first for me (ripping out a completed huge project) and it took me a long time to creep up on the decision. I guess I'm trying to say that if you don't love your new Shalder or find that it does have many outings, then reusing the wool for something else might be the answer. (I

Scruffybadger said...

It's such a pretty yoke, and I think the pale colour yarn shows that off best, but Roo, I didn't know you ever had knitting boo boos....I feel crushed, more so than you, honest. Is this telling me that . You are human too and knitting is clearly not always a tameable beast, even by knit gladiators such as yourself? I'm glad you will get some use out of it though...seems such an investment in time and money for it to be sent to the ' pretend it's not there' pile..

Isabella Morgan said...

Love this blog! Check out
frockfriday.blogspot.com
too. So many sewing and knitting blogs! Heaven!

acharmofmagpies said...

Argh, oh no! Small mercies though, at least it is done! And farmwear is still important to have.