Sunday, July 28, 2013

FO: The Summer Funeral Cardigan

I am not going to pretend that this weekend was a good one.
FL was in the depths of despond and I was on the point of ringing the out-of-hours doctor because I didn't know what was wrong, but he was just not himself.
So I had no sleep on Friday or Saturday nights and was on the point of cancelling my holiday with The Girl.
And then, at about 5 o'clock this morning, he seemed to wake up properly and come out of the dark place where he had been hiding for about three days and nights, and announced that we were definitely going to the funeral together on Monday and I would definitely head on south to meet The Girl and he would be FINE!

So despite the fact that I didn't really believe him... because nobody can flip from sick to well quite that fast... I thought I had better pull myself together and make a black cardigan to wear to the funeral.
So I did.
Yes, I've already had the Scottish Widow joke from FL, thanks! (Google it if you don't get the reference.)

This is a bit of a mish-mash of patterns.
I used the hooded jacket pattern from Female Spring 2012 (Japanese pattern magazine) for the upper half, in size medium.
But I wanted a bit more pizzazz, so I franken-patterned it together with the bottom scoop of the Summer Concert Tee for a bit of hi-lo business.
Then I decided the sleeves were too long and chopped them off below the elbow.
 Why yes, I did get my hair cut on Friday, as couple of people noticed.
The grey streaks cost a fortune (not!)
 Where was I?
Oh yes - so I ended up with a raglan-sleeved, hi-lo hemmed, hooded 3/4-sleeve cardi.
It was looking a bit too plain, so I ran a piece of stretch lace round the front edges and up round the hood.
This also helped form a buttonhole / loop for closure.
 I am struggling for a decent side view showing the sweep of the swooping hem - it is about 6 inches longer at the back than the front.  It is also wider at back, so catches the breeze and wafts.
Stats:
Pattern: A mash-up of the Summer Concert Tee with a Japanese hooded jacket pattern from the Female Spring 2012 magazine.
Fabric:  Very fine viscose jersey from Truro Fabrics, about 1.6m, (£7.99 per metre) also used to make The Girl's Drafting Cardi.
Other:  Maybe 2 metres of black stretch lace from an ebay bundle.  A vintage boot button, also used for my 1940's tea dress.

Verdict?
Do you know how long I have whinged about not having a black cardigan?
I have one now.
If the wind stays in the right direction, I will wear it to a funeral tomorrow, probably over my Innocent Crush blouse and a black skirt.
Job done.

P.S.  If the blog goes quiet this week, I have successfully gone on holiday with The Girl, and FL is fine.
Fingers crossed.
Back soon!

15 comments:

ravelledsleeve said...

Nice cardi, and nice haircut!

I hope you and The Girl have a lovely relaxing time together :-)

Lynn said...

Beautiful cardi!

Hoping for a silent blog week! Have a wonderful time away!

Jodie said...

Love the new hair cut - awesome. Hoping for a quiet blog as it means good things for you. Fingers crossed!

Scruffybadger said...

Looks great, pretty yet funky, in a sedate enough way for a funeral! But at least you'll want to wear it afterwards.
Love the hair!! And have a good week x

Carolyn said...

I really like the black lacy cardigan, the hood is a nice detail. I hope you have a fun holiday with your daughter :)

verykerryberry said...

Fingers crossed (loving the lace)

beate grigutsch said...

wish you a wonderful holiday and that FL stays fine!!!!!

Sheena said...

But I love the Scottish Widow cape! and your cardigan is fantastic.

MaryinTN said...

Hope you have a quiet blog, a good time with the Girl, and that FL is okay). Love the cardigan.

christinelaennec said...

You are amazing! Fingers crossed for a very quiet blog this week and that FL picks up.

acharmofmagpies said...

Have a lovely holiday and good luck!

pennylibrarian said...

Totally perfect for enigmatically gazing at the rugged and windswept landscape that surrounds you. Personally, I've always loved the Scottish Widow look. Wishing you a peaceful week.

Sarahel said...

Do hope you are now enjoying a lovely break with your daughter and that FL is managing without you.

Sarahel

Nicki said...

Pretty cardi. I'd forgotten about the Summer Concert tee. That's how I originally found your blog, Googling images for it. I hope you have a lovely break.

Zoe said...

Wow, what a roller coaster. So glad you still got to go on your break. The cardigan looks beautiful xxx