Saturday, July 20, 2013

Knitters in the Wild

Today I met up with my knitterly friend Christine.
We planned an excursion slightly to the south, before Christine migrates to Glasgow at the end of the month.
Our first stop was a curious little shop in a one-horse town:  The Swatchmaker in Laurencekirk.
The shop would not be out of place on the Byres Road:  a small hand-picked collection of curios, crafts and vintage clothing.  Is Laurencekirk "up and coming"?  Who knew?  Christine and I both found something to buy, but it was a long way to go for a vintage sewing pattern (me) and a tatting booklet (Christine)!
Luckily, we had also planned a visit to a "destination tearoom" at Balmakewan.  When we arrived, they were still serving amazing-looking breakfasts, but we were on a strict coffee-and-cake diet today.  We found a bright spot and pulled out our knitting, attracting a stage whisper of: "Exciting!" from a woman at the next table - hee!
I hadn't seen Christine's cardigan for quite some time, and it had grown a lot -  wow!
I was able to deliver her Willowherb socks, which she kindly agreed to model in the wild.
Hooray - they fit!
Willowherb high-kicking in the willowherb
All too soon it was time to head home again, each clutching a punnet of locally grown strawberries. On the way, we topped up on local culture at the Grassic Gibbon Centre.  I found it strangely poignant to find the writer's short life reduced to a dvd playing on a loop, some posters and a few personal artefacts, like his Library Card and a boot hook.  OK, that's not a fair summary. Maybe if we had stayed for coffee I would have come away with a different impression. But... it was an odd little place.
Back in Aberdeen, I had 20 minutes in town before my train, and popped into Zara to scoff at the sale.  Oh how the cynical are fallen!  Look what I bought for £5!
Ha ha ha!  Don't worry - I don't intend to wear this garment in its current shape.  This is 100% linen jersey and there is more than enough fabric here to harvest to make a summer cardigan.  It was Made in Portugal and should have cost £20.  I imagine it is supposed to worn as a beach cover-up.
But I much prefer the 60's style of  the pattern I bought at The Swatchmaker!
Simplicity 4482
I had such a lovely day out!  Thank you, Christine!
The next time we meet, it will probably be in Glasgow:  lots of day-trip potential there! ;)

7 comments:

christinelaennec said...

Oh what a great day it was - very memorable. Thank you again for my beautiful socks, given to me in Rosebay Willowherb season. I didn't hear the woman's "exciting"! Yes, it really was very exciting.

And look what you get up to when I leave you unsupervised for 20 minutes! :-)

Amy said...

That sounds like a lovely day! The willowherb socks are beautiful. I'm looking forward to seeing what you make from that fabric too.

kbenco said...

The socks are beautiful, particularly in their namesake herb. )
Knitting definitely is exciting. I hope the woman in the tea shop was suitably envious at your skills.
What a find! Metres of linen jersey for a mere 5 pounds, worth looking at the clothes sales after all.

MaryinTN said...

What a great day! Fab socks. The fabric is beautiful and I cannot wait to see what you will do with it.

Dottie Doodle said...

Sounds like a great day. I haven't been to the sales - a first for me - but now I want to!

Helen said...

I love that 60'a pattern! Sounds like a great day.

velosewer said...

I think day trips in Glasgow sounds like another fun day.