Friday, September 20, 2013

The Bag Lady Strikes Again


You might assume I have not been sewing. Well, I have not been sewing anything wearable, but last weekend I made three little box bags, as gifts.
It was only when I had everything set up to sew that I realised I didn't have any heavyweight interfacing in the stash. Tsk!
However, the original instructions suggest using denim to line these, for added structure, and it just so happened that I had some remnants in the stash - hooray!

I made three bags. One has the denim on the outside because my main fabric had a white background, and I feared for its practicality. The print is of cats and fish on music staves :)
The typewriter-print version is a bit bigger than the other two because my zip was longer. It would easily hold a 4-ply cardigan-in-progress if gifted to a knitter. I trimmed the inside seams with orange polka dot bias binding for a neat finish. I plan to add a home-made stitchmarker to the zip-pull on each.
Every time I make a batch of these I entertain delusions about selling them on Etsy. But I know I would have to find a source of well-priced quirky cotton to make it in any way worthwhile as a business venture. As a customer, I want something really special for my £10 to £15, not just someone's denim leftovers!
Does that make sense? I know what I mean!

13 comments:

Miriana said...

I rather suspect that the market on Etsy for bags like this is rather crowded!

woolmix said...

Lovely! I'd definitely buy one as my own attempts at box-bag-making have been rather hopeless.

Lizzi said...

These bags are lovely. I know what you mean about Etsy. It isn't worth your while unless you can rattle them up quickly and you have a good source for fabric. However, some folk would see your denim leftovers as a 'unique selling point'. Upcycling is queen!

MaryinTN said...

Awesome. I like the kitty print one!

Colleen said...

I don't know. I think that, even if the market on Etsy is crowded with certain things, it's all a matter of what people see when they see five of the same things from different sellers. Items SPEAK to sellers and there is a mystery as to why. I say, use your scraps -- of which you must have many -- and be on the lookout for remnants that are heavy home decor, etc. I've not given up my dream of selling on Etsy and I make what everyone else makes. I do wonder, though, since you knit so quickly, if you might try to make some brilliant hats. People just can't get enough hats!!!!

Colleen said...

I meant "Items SPEAK to buyers"

jessica said...

So cute! Very handy for knitting bags! I'm afraid I'm really lazy - I keep thinking I'll make myself more knitting project bags (I seem to need more and more!) and yet never get around to it. Ah well.

As to Etsy - I know what you mean. Such a crowded market. I sometimes toy with the idea of selling, not for vast profit, but enough to pay for (or subsidize) the hobby. So far, it hasn't gotten beyond the contemplating phase.

jessica said...

PS: what big changes of late! My thoughts are with you both, hope all is well (as well as can be) for the moment. A great big hug from across the ocean (and landmass called America).

Dottie Doodle said...

I agree with Lizzi, people like upcycling! Why don't you try it and see? I sell on etsy and folksy - not huge sales, but worth doing.

ambermog said...

I think that despite the amount of bags on etsy, something different, well made and quirky sells everytime. Some of us have a bag fetish you know;) ask picperfic how many of hers I have;) much love and strength sent your way as always

sulkycat said...

I sell similar bags. Despite the mass of them on Etsy, people do still want them, ditto stitch markers. If it's well made, reasonably priced and makes someone smile then it's worth a go. (Reminder to self: restock shop!)

Amber/ Vudupink said...

Your mystery plants are amaranth! They will be back next year !. I've included them in several gardens just cause I just love them so. There are some really awesome varieties out there.XO

Emily said...

Nooo, just brand them as "upcycled"! Etsy will LOVE it!