Wednesday, October 16, 2013

A Week In Knitting

Last Wednesday's knitting catch-up post was usurped by a knitted Finished Object, and I almost managed that this week too.
I have dedicated the past 7 days' knitting time to the Thistle Scarf by Tin Can Knits.
This project is an act of witchcraft. I am brewing it up in defence against evil spirits. And it's not even Hallowe'en yet!
When I heard that a work colleague's husband's cancer was kicking in hard and that she was now a full-time carer, the fear of death set in. I somehow thought that if I performed an act of knitterly magic on her behalf, all would be well, and that the good karma would rub off on my family too.
So I have been knitting like a woman possessed.
I initially thought I might make J. a pair of socks but I didn't know her shoe size and was too embarrassed to ask. Rummaging through the stash for something appropriate, I fell upon this Skein Queen Enchant in "Strawberries and Champagne", a club colour, inspired by the recent film of The Great Gatsby.
It is soft and silky and rather luxurious. And really, J. is the kind of lady to gift such a yarn: classy, refined, but definitely warm-hearted.
Last Thursday I reached the 1/3-way-through point and decided there was nothing to be done but knit and knit and knit until it was complete. All other projects were set aside.
This pattern helpfully suggests ending the thistle lace section when you have 2/3 of your yarn left. Thereafter, it is a simple 2-row repeat until you run out of wool. My skein was 100g / 400m, instead of the 600m used in the sample. So I worked 5 full thistle repeats instead of 7.
I would have been finished by today if I had not been distracted by Georgia O'Keeffe and the quest for the perfect dress pattern!
So a FO post will follow shortly, after another 12 or so rows and a blocking session.
As for karma, well...! All the magic in the world won't change the fact that FL is in a lot of pain. However, he saw his GP on Monday and has a whole raft of new potions to try: Lyrica, Oxycodone, a new asthma inhaler and a course of antibiotics have been added to his treasure chest of drugs. Side effects? Probably. I'll have my eye out for those.  But he is willing to try anything to get some relief...
...except a scarf. He definitely doesn't want to try a fluffy pink scarf.

7 comments:

beate grigutsch said...

the scarf is going to be really beautiful!

........

Maeve said...

Gorgeous scarf. Your friend will love it.

MaryinTN said...

Beautiful scarf. Sending hugs to you and FL and praying the pain meds work for him.

Rachel-Lou said...

Beautiful scarf, I'm sure your friend will love it.

Twelfthknit said...

Lyrica has taken the edge off some of the neuralgia pain I have, I hope it is useful for FL too. Also...... If the doc hasn't thought about this, something to counteract the erm, binding, effects of the oxycodone would be very useful

Sarah said...

Oh, Roo! What a beautiful project and I'm sure your friend will be so pleased with it!

Sorry to hear that FL is still in a lot of pain. A note about the 'binding' effect of Oxycodone, a daily fibre supplement, such as Metamucil or Lax-A-Day, will help to counteract that.

You are both in my thoughts.

jessica said...

How very thoughtful, I'm sure your friend will be touched by the gift! Looks beautiful! (what a colorway name, so dreamy)

I have similar 'wishful thinking' that I engage with re:my grandmother. 8 is a lucky number in Chinese culture, and I used to tell her that she was 88 years old, doubly auspicious, Grandma! Back when she WAS 88 she'd get it and laugh, but one day (when she was about 90) she stopped understanding that SHE was 88 (but she was still able to conceptualize the number), and then a little later, the number "88" didn't mean much anymore. I still keep it up though, part wishful thinking - like, well, 88's kept her alive for so long now, I don't want to jinx it by thinking that she's gotten older! So Imma just freeze her in time, OK? Yah.