Wednesday, October 23, 2013

A week in knitting

Already? Really? That was a fast week!
Since finishing my Thistle scarf, I have applied myself to the Narcissa socks and have just turned the heel of sock two. I would like to finish these off before next week’s hospital appointment, so that I have something new for the waiting room.
I also picked up my Mermaid’s Song Shawl again.
It was looking awfully long, so I checked the pattern, and realised that (a) it is meant to be worked in laceweight and (b) it takes a lot more yarn than I have at my disposal.
Ah. I knew this really, but I had forgotten.
Thinking about my Thistle, it was about 2/3 of the yardage / size of the pattern due to subbing fingering weight for lace. The calculation was a lot easier to make with that one, because it was a long strip of flat knitting. This little number is possibly a triangle, but almost certainly curvaceous.
I have arbitrarily decided to stop knitting the lace edging after 15 repeats.
There is no scientific basis for this decision – I just like the number.
Watch this space!
And just to prove there is no ill-feeling between me and my Kex blanket, I dug it out of its bag last night and gave it some love.
Have you seen the second section before? Maybe not. There's not much to show as yet.
I knitted on after taking this photograph, so hopefully next week you will get a better sense of the full set of colours.
There are four segments to the main piece, and I think I have enough yarn to knit two of each colour combination.
After that, you knit a border all the way round the outside edge.
I think mine will be lavender.. but then again it might be orange :)

4 comments:

Janey said...

How about a double border, Roo? Lovely colours, can't wait to see the finished blanket.

mags said...

Love the blanket. I force myself to knit one project at a time but I not really know why! It's exciting to switch and mst keep you more interested.

MaryinTN said...

Lovely blanket!

Susie Hemingway said...

Just checked in to see how FL's was doing and so glad to read he is continuing well. - I loved the old Fortnum's tin holding your reels of silk in first pic - lovely. Take care and hopefully the Winter will be kind to you up there.